Students learn how to fly with their feet grounded

Staci Hupp

It’s called flying, but the feet remain partially grounded.

Three visiting graduate students from Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield gave a lecture and then demonstrated a technique called Transcendental Meditation (TM), or “yogic flying,” Wednesday in the Memorial Union.

Presenters discussed the advantages of the technique and showed about 12 audience members the yogic flying exercise, which literally bounces them off the floor.

TM, which was introduced in 1957 by the Maharishi’s founder and namesake, is a practice designed to “not only to promote the individual’s well-being, but the good of society as well.”

The process involves deep meditation to a level that enhances brain coherence over a cumulative period of time, demonstrators said.

Ron Kaere, a demonstrator from Maharishi, said TM is a thought process that incorporates the mind and body. He said it works over time to produce happiness and success among individuals, and the underlying goal is to achieve peace within society.

“It’s a field of full potentiality,” he said. “It gives rise to everything we know — then we see life moving into that field.”

He said the technique is a stress reliever because it “allows your mind to seek out greater happiness.”

“Benefits have been researched,” he said.

Demonstrators said practicing TM and yogic flying can be especially worthwhile to college students. They said that exam stress burns out students.

“It’s a simple, natural technique which enables all individuals to experience directly who they are,” Kaere said.

Susan Ruby, a member of the TM Club at Iowa State, said she encourages students to experience the technique’s benefits.

“We want people to know you can unfold your potential through this,” she said. “There is knowledge available and within reach.”