Rub-a-dub, toss dogs in the tub

Joanne Roepke

Just grab Rover and come on over.

Dogs and their owners all over Ames are beginning to dread the annual bath that is an inevitable part of spring cleaning.

Rather than deal with sudsy dog prints all over the living room and hair in the tub, dog owners can take the easier route and hit the Vet Med Dog Wash on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The biannual dog wash is sponsored by the Iowa State student chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association. It will take place at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, located on the east side of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

The canine cleaning is held twice a year to help out with the transportation costs of the Student American Veterinary Medicine Symposium, which will be held in Florida in the spring of 1998, said Cherri Trusceim, event coordinator and a second-year vet student.

Despite the help of about 60 vet students, the wash can still get pretty crazy, she said.

“We have about three appointments every 15 minutes with 15 students helping at a time. It is kind of fun, once we get the students away from their studying. It gets pretty hectic,” Trusceim said.

The pooch primping prices vary on the size and type of dog. Flea baths as well as hypo-allergenic shampoos are offered, with costs ranging from $6 for small dogs to $12 for larger dogs. An additional charge of $2 is added for those with long or matted hair.

The veterinary students help man’s best friend put on the ritz with careful grooming after his bath.

“We use blow dryers and brush them out. Some are pretty matted since they’ve been outside all winter. There are usually towels and blow dryers everywhere. It’s quite a sight, seeing all those people and all those dogs,” Trusceim said.

No visit to the “salon” is complete without a manicure. Dogs can get a toenail trim thrown in for only $3 more with a wash, or $5 without a wash.

Owners of about 45 dogs have called ahead for appointments, but there is space for at least twice that many. Several drop-ins are expected

Dog owners are encouraged to call for an appointment at 294-4900.