Carbon monoxide: silent but deadly

Erin Payne

Although many may be unaware of it, a silent killer could be creeping in the shadows.

Carbon monoxide, a gas that has no odor or color, is an increasing concern for many Americans, said Deb Critz, supervisor of the Iowa Methodist Medical Center’s carbon monoxide treatment center.

After hearing about people who have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, many people are buying carbon monoxide detectors, she said. Others are taking the extra precaution to have these detectors accompany smoke detectors and fire extinguishers at home.

But most college students are living away from home, and typically, students don’t own or manage their residences. Instead, property managers and the residence hall association take care of the buildings — and their safety.

Causes of poisoning

Most carbon monoxide poisoning results from faulty furnaces, water heaters, hot tubs and vehicle exhaust systems, Critz said. Critz treats carbon monoxide-poisoned patients by putting them in a hyperbaric chamber, where patients breathe 100 percent oxygen to counter the presence of carbon monoxide in their blood and to reduce the side effects of poisoning.

But the silence of carbon monoxide lingers. It’s not easy to single out the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, Critz said.

“It’s hard to diagnose because it mimics flu side effects,” she said. These dual side effects — irritability, short-term memory and temporary muscle-control loss — multiply the danger of carbon monoxide.

“A lot of [people] have contracted it by a faulty furnace,” Critz said. And that’s where management enters the picture. Furnaces should be checked annually, she said, and if a landlord doesn’t do it, students should learn how to check furnaces themselves.

Off-campus safety

Gary Hunziker, owner of Hunziker Property Management, said his business annually checks for carbon monoxide by testing with a meter near the furnace.

He also said some Hunziker rental units have an extra security — hot water heat that, in contrast to furnaces, isn’t a carbon monoxide producer.

Jim Triplett, owner of Triplett Real Estate and Insurance, said any carbon monoxide tests in his units are conducted independently.

“We hire a professional furnace company to service our furnace equipment,” he said. “I don’t know if they test for [carbon monoxide]. They probably don’t,” he said.

Lyle Scandrett, shift captain with the Ames’ Fire Department, said furnace checks usually are visual and generally don’t test for carbon monoxide.

Triplett has received some phone calls from tenants suspecting carbon monoxide, he said.

“We’ve had a couple cases where there was a faulty furnace,” Triplett said. “Fortunately, we got it taken care of,” he added. Triplett said installing detectors is up to the tenant.

The same goes for Professional Property Management (PPM), Gary Denner, property manager for PPM, said.

“Anytime a resident calls and suspects or is concerned about carbon monoxide, we call an outside contractor,” Denner said.

Although they’ve received several calls this year, he said, no high carbon monoxide readings have been discovered.

Scandrett said annual checks are a good idea, but costs may keep management from testing property. “If they can run annual service checks with contractors, then they’re on top of it,” he said.

Residence halls

Carbon monoxide isn’t much of a threat to students who live in the residence halls, said Leroy Brown, facilities manager for the Union Drive Association.

Most steam heat is piped to the residence halls from the university power plant, the gas doesn’t have a place to brood in university-owned residences, he said.

Brown said this is true for UDA and RCA, but part of Towers is heated by boilers. Carbon monoxide is produced by appliances that burn products, he said. “There’s no way we’re producing that,” he said. Other than emergency generators, “I can’t think of any thing where we burn fossil fuel for power,” Brown said.

Because of this, Brown doesn’t see any need for carbon monoxide detectors in the residence halls.

Greek houses

Greek houses are taking care of their own carbon monoxide concerns. Instead of depending on outsiders, most houses elect a house manager who is in charge of safety, such as fire drills, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

Kate McMahon, house manager for Chi Omega sorority, said she tests the smoke detectors monthly and the house has fire drills four times each semester. Recently, the fire marshal inspected the house and conducted various tests, including a carbon monoxide test. Nothing serious turned up, McMahon said.

“We have carbon monoxide detectors,” she added.

Even though its important to have yearly furnace checks, Critz said, students can take the extra precaution of investing $40 to $ 50 in a carbon monoxide detector.

“You’re not safe because you check your furnace every year. You’re the safest to buy a detector,” Critz added.

Critz said any carbon monoxide detector is good, but that digital detectors are best. Digital detectors give a reading of the carbon monoxide in the air, she said, which is helpful for emergency personnel.