Trice Stadium is in

Jen Schroeder

IOWA CITY — Twenty-two years later, the debate is over.

The state Board of Regents, on a vote of 7-2, approved Iowa State President Martin Jischke’s recommendation to rename Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field to Jack Trice Stadium. The vote came at the regents’ Wednesday meeting in Iowa City.

Regents’ approval is needed for any facility name at the state universities. The Trice name takes hold immediately, but a dedication ceremony has been tentatively scheduled for Aug. 30, when Iowa State plays Oklahoma State at home.

The board moved to approve the request, but not before questions were raised by several regents. Regent Nancy Pellet, of Atlantic, said she had received several phone calls, mostly from alumni, objecting to a Trice Stadium.

She said the calls were not race related, but those calling expressed concern over the removal of the Cyclone Stadium name, denoting alumni ownership of the stadium.

She said Trice Stadium is not well supported. “I don’t think the student body is in favor of it,” Pellet said.

The numbers tell a different story. A comprehensive poll of ISU students last semester found that more than 68 percent of students asked favored renaming the stadium. Only 12 percent said they didn’t want the name changed, while about 19 percent had no opinion.

And President Jischke, in his opening statements to the regents, said 85 percent of student-athletes surveyed were in favor of renaming the stadium after Jack Trice.

Pellet voted against accepting Jischke’s recommendation. Regent Thomas Dorr, of Marcus, was the other dissenter.

Trice was ISU’s first black athlete. He died in 1923 as a result of injuries sustained in his second varsity football game.

Jischke said Trice has come to symbolize the ideals important to ISU, such as courage and dedication.

“His story is one of the most powerful and has become the most inspirational for Iowa State University,” Jischke said.

Regent John Tyrell, of Manchester, said he received several late calls concerning the Trice issue. “It is difficult for me to identify with this because I am not an Iowa State alumnus,” he said.

Dorr said he also received several calls in opposition, but no calls in support of a Trice Stadium. “I feel that there is less than a really strong support [for renaming],” Dorr said.

Dorr and Pellet both have children enrolled at ISU.

Regent Ellengray Kennedy, of Bancroft, said she received a phone call in support of renaming the stadium. “It was a 1970s graduate who was thankful that it was finally happening,” she said.

Regent Jim Arenson, of Cedar Rapids, was adamant about his support for Trice. “This is something that we are 30 to 40 years late in doing. I think it’s a great move.”

“I believe that this is a message to all students, while it is clearly not unanimous, it shows widespread support for the proposal from faculty and staff, from the administration and from the board,” Jischke said.

Others honored

The regents also unanimously approved the renaming of the Physical Education Building to the Barbara E. Forker Building. They also named the main road leading to the College of Veterinary Medicine from South 16th Street to Christensen Drive. A ceremony to dedicate the building will be announced later.

Forker, a distinguished professor emeritus of physical education, served as the first chairman of the Department of Physical Education, which is now the Department of Health and Human Performance. The name change will go into effect immediately.

Christensen Driver honors George C. Christensen, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine from 1963 to 1965 and vice president for academic affairs from 1965 until 1987.

Trice Stadium? The Regents Say:

James Arenson

— YES

Aileen Mahood

— YES

Owen Newlin

— YES

Roger Lande

— YES

John Tyrrell

— YES

Beverly Ann Smith

— YES

Nancy Pellett

— NO

Thomas Dorr

— NO

Ellengray Kennedy

— YES