Let your voice be heard

Matt Moore

A few years ago when I was in student government, an issue that was brought up rather frequently was the operating hours of Parks Library. Most everyone was very upset that the library closed at midnight. This was also complicated by the fact that there are not many alternatives for some students.

When this was brought up, it all came down to money, as usual. This same problem also exists with the Rec-Center. The reason I am writing, is that I have not read anything in the paper, or heard anything around campus regarding this issue, which for those of you who ATTEMPT to use these facilities can appreciate why I am doing this.

Granted, it would cost a lot of money to extend the hours of one or both of these facilities for even two hours a day, but isn’t the university supposed to be looking out for our best interests?

Our societal trends have changed from the time the operating hours were set. MORE people are trying to exercise and study than in the past. Since many students have to work in the early evenings after class, or heaven forbid they want to partake in an extra-curricular activity such as a club for example, the only time that realistically remains for students to study or exercise, is IN THE LATE EVENING.

I’m sure there are others that think we could use more facility hours as opposed to another piece of artwork outside another building. If you feel the same way, let your voice be heard.

Matt Moore

Graduate Research Assistant

Aerospace Engineering/Engineering Mechanics