ISU’s century-old icon

Joanne Roepke

The illuminated, 168-foot landmark that graces the west side of campus — commonly known as a water tower — is celebrating its 100th birthday this year.

The structure was designed in 1897 by Iowa State’s first dean of engineering, Anson Marston, and was expected to be in working order for 30 years. The tower went out of service 91 years later. The Marston water tower has not been in working order since 1978.

It sits idle, rather, as one of the campus’ identifying landmarks.

When built in 1897, it differed from other towers because of its steel construction design, said Dean James Melsa of the College of Engineering.

“It was the first water tower of its variety west of the Mississippi,” he said.

The tower was taken out of service because when Iowa State was connected to the Ames city water system.

In 1983, the 175,000-gallon tower was named as a regional landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Even though it was no longer in use, the tower needed to be restored for landmark purposes.

The Anson Marston chapter of the Iowa Engineering Society began raising funds to restore the water tower in 1987. After an inspection of the tower, it was estimated that it would cost $80,000 to refurbish it, almost eight times the amount it cost to built. The original cost about $10,000.

After being denied government funding for the repairs, the fund-raisers turned to Iowa State alumni for help.

While the engineering society was busy drumming up some cash for the project, students were occupied dreaming up ideas on how to display the newly refurbished tower.

Four design students — Greg Cushing, Rick Mascia, Kelly Popp and Christopher Wilhelm — proposed new graphics and a new color scheme for the structure.

Included in these plans were spotlights that would illuminate the tower from dusk until dawn. However, this idea proved too costly, as well as frustrating to avid stargazers, who complained of the glare on the night sky from the lights.

Now the spotlights are turned on only periodically, and usually just for special occasions.

College of engineering officials may plan a centennial celebration for later in the year.