AIDS Awareness Week hits campus

Joanne Roepke

AIDS Awareness Week on campus kicked off Sunday with a host of special events and speakers slated for the remainder of the week.

For learning and listening pleasure, students can tune into Robert Cagle, of the University of Illinois, on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Directly following his speech will be a forum discussing “Film, Contemporary Art & AIDS: Issues of Representation” with Cagle, Dr. Barbara Miller, Tim McIllrath, and Caroll Prusa.

Another forum will be held Thursday night about “HIV, AIDS, Health & Prevention” after lectures by representatives of the McFarland Clinic beginning at noon in the Great Hall.

Officials will also cover all artwork on campus Wednesday in memory of those who have died of AIDS. At 5 p.m. the same day, students, faculty and members of the community are invited to pay tribute to those who lost their lives to AIDS by walking in a candlelight vigil.

The march will start at three different locations: Target, Emma McCarthy Lee Park and Towers Residence Halls, and will end at Lake Laverne. Participants are encouraged to bring their own candles for the event.

On Thursday and Friday nights, the Maintenance Shop will host two free performances featuring students performing monologues entitled “Going Towards the Light” about AIDS and HIV. After the show, a benefit for the Story County AIDS Coalition will be held in the Great Hall.

Pieces of the national AIDS quilt will also be on display all week in the Union.