Show combines AIDS and entertainment

Joanne Roepke

Hey you! Come on down! Join all the people you’ve woke up next to in the morning and then muffled a groan of despair. Yes, YOU are the next contestant on “Everyone You’ve Ever Slept With is Here Tonight!”

Is this a new daytime talk show on STV9?

Not exactly.

It is one of the many monologues set to be performed in the AIDS Awareness Week production, “Going Towards the Light,” a show focusing on the effects of AIDS and HIV.

The production is free of charge and will open in the Maintenance Shop on Thursday night at 7 p.m. It will be performed again on Friday at 6 p.m. to kick off the AIDS benefit to be held in the Memorial Union.

While the show is performed and directed by Iowa State students, the monologues were written by a group of high school students in Virginia who had a friend who died from AIDS, said Jessie Smith, a senior in English and producer of the show.

Herb Sawyer, a sophomore in liberal arts and sciences, is the director.

Several of the readings appeal to the emotions of students, with special regard to a piece written by the boy who later died from the virus.

“It puts the human side to AIDS. You hear about the statistics, but you don’t hear what it’s really like,” Smith said.

The combined efforts of the ISU Theater, the Maintenance Shop Theater Production and a few other local volunteer talents form a group which is ready to put on an informative and prepared performance that is also entertaining, she said.

“This is not some random standing up and doing a poetry reading. It’s not a straight play, it’s pretty neat,” Smith said.

In addition to the “Everyone You’ve Ever Slept With is Here Tonight” show, she said, some other featured monologues slated to be in the event deal with such topics as stereotypes, fundamental preachers and the adventures of Captain Condom.

“I want as many people to come as possible. This way [of learning about AIDS] is really effective,” Smith said.

“I think people need something like this to open their eyes and realize that it could affect everybody,” she said.