Tourin’ the kids with the cardinal and gold

Joanne Roepke

We’ve all seen them on campus, wandering around like a troop of baby ducks, usually led by a person in a cardinal and gold rugby.

Most Iowa State students can easily spot a group of touring high school students by the folders in their hands and the questions in their eyes, but often people are confused about who is leading these groups.

Several students assume the people clad in the colorful rugbys are Cyclone Aides, students who are employed to work with freshmen orientation in the summer and occasionally throughout the school year.

In actuality, these people are members of an organization called the Student Alumni Association (SAA). They are two different groups, yet they share the same purpose: to recruit and retain students at Iowa State.

While the two are separate organizations, there are often many students who do double duty by participating in both.

“It’s not unusual to see some overlapping. It’s an advantage for a student who is in SAA to be a Cyclone Aide, and vice versa,” said Mary Carey, an enrollment counselor at ISU who has helped with recruitment and orientation in the past.

Anne Campbell, a sophomore in history, is an example of a student who wears both hats. She was a Cyclone Aide this past summer and is involved on the student recruitment committee for SAA. The two positions “totally relate,” she said.

“In both cases you’re talking to people you didn’t know before, giving a good impression of the university. It definitely overlaps,” Campbell said.

SAA is made up of several committees, one of which focuses on student recruitment. This committee is responsible for a lot of the campus tours given to visiting students and families.

The SAA volunteers are often called upon for help during special events like Homecoming and Sibling Weekend.

They also travel to area high schools and give presentations promoting Iowa State, talking about what the university has to offer.

The orientation program involves more than just giving tours. Cyclone Aides also perform skits and answer questions in front of audiences of parents and students.

After discussing common issues and questions in a large-group setting, they break down into smaller groups of six to 12.

“It’s more of a fun hang-out-type thing,” Campbell said.

Ardys Ulrichson, director of campus visits and orientation at ISU, agreed.

“Without question the informal interaction between the Cyclone Aides and visitors is important. They have the knowledge and ability to share information, and they are open and willing to talk with people,” she said.