Harkin greeted by protestors

Erin Payne

As election day draws near, many campaigns are getting down and dirty in their last efforts to capture votes.

When two Iowa State political groups encountered each other during a protest on Friday, the mudslinging was done in fun.

Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin’s trip to Ames Friday afternoon attracted not only his own supporters, but also those of his opponent, Republican Congressman Jim Ross Lightfoot.

Harkin and other Democratic candidates met at Pizza Kitchens to wrap up the ISU Democrats’ voter registration drive.

But before Harkin and company arrived, nearly 30 members of the College Republicans converged to the restaurant with Lightfoot signs in hand. Chad Schmitz, College Republican president, said the protest was to demonstrate Lightfoot’s support at ISU.

When the Republicans began chanting outside, Democrats left their tables and confronted the group. No brawls broke out. In fact many members of the opposing parties knew each other and the protest turned into a good-natured rivalry.

The protesting didn’t end there. Several Harkin supporters dressed as ghosts to protest Republican support of tobacco companies. The Republican reaction? Students passed out cigarettes and lit up.

Dean Fiihr, president of the ISU Democrats, said the Harkin campaign expected a protest, though he didn’t want the event to be a shoving match.

The back door arrival of Leonard Boswell, Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives, drew chants of “We like Mike,” by the Republicans. Boswell’s opponent is Republican Mike Mahaffey.

Harkin, who entered through the front door, was greeted by chants of “six more years” by the Democrats, and “Lightfoot ’96” from the Republicans.

A controversial race

Boswell addressed the issue of positive campaigning in his race against Mahaffey. The two originally said they would hold a positive race, but a series of recent events has proved otherwise.

“We got a close race,” Boswell said, adding that Mahaffey’s campaign has focused on a “character assault” of him. “I hope it’s got some fire going in your blood,” he said.

Student priorities and choices

Harkin reiterated his support for education to the college students. “You won’t find a better supporter for education,” he said of himself.

Harkin said he favors keeping low interest rates on student loans and increasing college financial aid avenues, such as the Pell Grant.

With education as his top priority, Harkin said he supports Head Start, remedial reading and math programs at the elementary level and direct loans at the college level.

Education is the right choice, Harkin said, as he pointed out his differences with Lightfoot. Harkin cited Lightfoot’s voting record. Lightfoot voted to give the Pentagon $16 billion more than it asked for, Harkin said, and at the same time he cut education.

Harkin also said his opponent wants to abolish the minimum wage. Harkin, on the other hand, favors an increase in minimum wage.

Fair pay for women is also part of his plan. “I think that’s the best thing we can do for this country.”

Harkin said he wants to give people assistance, not a hand-out. “I help people make the most of their lives…”

Students must make priorities and choices in this election, Harkin said. He told the students that it is up to them to decide who will win. “For all practical purposes, my campaign is over…” he said. “I’ve done what I can do.”

Students have a burden, he said, to make a difference. Most of the students in attendance are politically active, Harkin said, but influencing others is the key.