Clinton, Harkin want to build bridge

Tim Frerking and Keesia Wirt

INDIANOLA — It was a good ol’ fashioned hoedown for President Bill Clinton and Sen. Tom Harkin.

The two spoke Sunday afternoon at the National Balloon Classic Field outside Indianola at the 19th annual Harkin Steak ‘n Chop Fry.

In what appeared to be a modern Woodstock, about 12,000 Iowans converged on the field to cheer on members of the Democratic Party, including third district candidate Leonard Boswell.

Complete with Clinton/Gore signs, bales of hay, Harkin signs and beer, Iowans gave the president a down-home country party with shouts of “four more years” and “six more years” from the crowd, which included about 150 Iowa State students.

The importance of education in Iowa and how the state can continue to be at the top of national statistic lists was part of the focus of Harkin’s speech. “We take pride in education, which is why it’s my No. 1 priority. We want to invest in our children’s education, not squander billions on Star Wars.”

He spoke of “targeted tax cuts” for agriculture and education.

After a series of chants and cries, Clinton told the crowd why it was important to re-elect Harkin. “He has been nothing short of magnificent in the past four years. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve turned to Tom Harkin when things were on the line.”

Clinton also spoke about the importance of education. He said that in 10 years the students in the crowd “will be doing jobs that have not been invented yet, some not even imagined.” For that reason, Clinton said every child must have the opportunity to have a world-class education.

“If we will connect every school, teacher and class to the Information [Super] Highway, for the first time in the history of America all kids will have access to the same quality of learning.”

He also told the crowd he wants to make a commitment that a two-year community college degree will be as common as a high school diploma. He said that can be accomplished by giving a $1,500 tax decrease to anyone pursuing higher education.

“Every child in America deserves the kind of education that the people of Iowa have given their children for decades,” he said.

Harkin said he was pleased with this year’s attendance, the largest in the fund-raisers history, and said it was good to see so many students present.

“We have students organizing campaigns and registering students on every campus in Iowa.”

Dean Fiihr, president of ISU Democrats, who was in attendance, said about 100 Iowa State students rode down on two buses and another 50 or so drove separately. “It’s a motivator for students and our student volunteers.”

ISU Democrats, he said, has registered more than 700 voters since school started.

Another of Harkin’s goals is to let the women of Iowa have a choice about abortion. “We trust the women of Iowa to choose, and we want the government out of our women’s lives,” Harkin said.

Anti-abortionists protested with signs and shouts to motorists along the road leading to the balloon field.

Before Harkin and Clinton arrived, actor Tom Arnold, an Iowa resident and a pre-Clinton entertainer at the event, said, “We got so many other things to worry about. Why are we worrying what people do with their own bodies?”

Harkin also spoke metaphorically about the ladder of success. “The primary responsibility of government is to leave that ladder down for others to climb, too — but I didn’t say an escalator. With a ladder it takes effort, but the structure is there.”

The environment was an issue Clinton addressed by saying the United Auto Workers, who had several members in attendance, helped to develop engines which now burn fuel more efficiently. “I know we can find ways to improve the economy and still preserve the environment.”

He said his administration had closed more toxic waste sites in three years than the Republicans did in 12 years. “Our kids will be growing up next to parks, not poison.”

Clinton ended his remarks with the standard bridge reference. “I don’t want to build a bridge that you can walk across because you are better than someone else … I want to build a bridge that anyone can walk across, that we can walk across together into the next century.”