Boyles to retire as NCAA representative; committee looking to fill opening soon

Jen Schroeder

Applications are now being taken for Iowa State University’s Faculty Athletic Representative to the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The current representative, Norm Boyles, professor of professional studies, has held the advisory slot for the last 10 years and is retiring at the end of this academic year.

“Things have gone very well. I have no complaints,” Boyles said. Despite the demands of the job, which entails certifying the eligibility of student athletes, Boyles said that things have gone very well and that he has had no complaints. “There are times when you have to tend to certain things. Sports occupy a very large part of the university.”

Richard Seagrave, a professor in chemical engineering, was called upon by President Martin Jischke to chair the application screening committee, which is made up of faculty members. “If I had to say one thing about it, the major task for the position is to ensure the academic integrity of the program and the welfare of the students,” Seagrave said.

Seagrave said that the person appointed will need to be “…good on the details.” “They have to be a person of obvious strength and integrity and have the confidence of the faculty…and the confidence of the upward administration.”

Besides those personal aspects, there are other qualifications that must be met. Seagrave said that the position must be filled by a tenured or tenured-track faculty who is interested in students and athletics.

Other faculty members on the committee are Eric Hoiberg, College of Agriculture Administration, Brenda Jones, art and design; Barbara Mack, journalism and mass communication; August Ralston, finance; Ann Thompson, curriculum and instruction; and Sally Williams, family and consumer sciences education.

Seagrave said that Boyles has done wonderful work as faculty athletic representative for the NCAA. “He has served with distinction and has the confidence of the faculty and the administration. He’ll be a hard guy to replace,” Seagrave said.

Boyles, who was appointed to the position in 1987 by then President Gordon Eaton, said that he hopes that the new person appointed will receive the kind of help that he has in representing the university. “I’ve had the opportunity to work with two very good athletic directors and two presidents and one interim president. I’ve enjoyed that very much. They’ve been very understanding and permissive.”

Boyles said that certain changes are in order for the NCAA. “I think the person who takes this on, can’t take it on in reflection of the way it was. The picture has changed drastically,” Boyles said.

“The Big 12 is new and the NCAA has restructured itself in the terms of how it conducts business.” These alterations in structure will take place Aug. 1, 1997, Boyles said.

The screening committee will begin reviewing applications on Oct. 15. Seagrave said he hopes the committee will have the applications narrowed down to about three or four around the first of November.

Letters of application, including a curriculum vitae, and letters of nomination, may be sent to: Richard Seagrave, Faculty Athletic Representative Screening Committee, c/o Office of the President, 117 Beardshear Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011.