The Center to host Community Welcome and Open House

The Center will host a Community Welcome on Tuesday from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union Great Hall and an activity-filled week for Open House at The Center.

As classes start and students return to Iowa State, various organizations are holding welcome events to greet returning students and introduce new students to what the community has to offer.

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success will be holding a week-long open house in the Center space on the fourth floor of the Memorial Union and hosting a Community Welcome on Tuesday from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Attendance is free, and food will be provided.

“It’s a way for people to mix with the community,” said Susan Harper, director of the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success. “What’s really my favorite thing is to watch students that have been here a while mix with new students. Then, right away, you have people that you know and recognize on campus.”

According to the previous year’s statistics from The Center’s website, 98 percent of students who attend the Community Welcome met someone new. Harper said these events are open to everyone as a way for students to enjoy themselves as they return to classes with a night of fun activities and food.

“The goals of the open house are the same: to introduce people to the space and what we have going on, encourage people to get on the newsletter, social media and meet other people,” Harper said.

During the week-long open house, students can drop by for snacks and check out the new space. Some of the activities planned include drag bingo, an afternoon of crafts and game night in The Center. These events are geared toward providing students the opportunity to have fun and relax while getting situated for the new school year.

While The Center has held events to welcome students for many years, this will be Harper’s first year.

“Raising the visibility of The Center so that more people can use and benefit from it is my big goal in my first year here,” Harper said.

The Open House also commemorates The Center’s first year in its new space on the renovated fourth floor of the Memorial Union. Harper hopes to use these events to bring the community together and see people in the new space.