SUB Comedy Night hosts Daphnique Springs at the M-Shop

Daphnique+Springs

Courtesy of SUB

Daphnique Springs

Margaret Troup

Daphnique Springs will be performing her stand-up comedy show Thursday at 9 p.m. in the Maintenance Shop.

Springs is an actress, writer and comedian. While she has appeared on hit shows like “How I Met Your Mother” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”, she is best known for her witty comedy. Springs is currently touring around the country performing live for audiences everywhere.

Springs’ comedy acts range from stories about her personal life to commentary on current events with a comedic twist. By using dark humor, Springs is able to relate to the audience confidently, making for an unparalleled comedy show.

Maintenance Shop Director, Matt Schroeder, explained how the Student Union Board (SUB) is able to welcome talents such as Springs to our school.

“Artists usually contact us about when they are coming through the state on their tour,” Schroeder said. “They tell us the dates and times they’re available.”

Students volunteering for SUB help choose which acts they schedule into their Comedy Nights.

“We usually watch their content and we try to keep guests diverse,” Schroeder said. “So Comedy Night doesn’t just have the same type of guy-comedians performing.”

SUB makes sure to incorporate diversity into their events. Springs will surely be a breath of fresh air to the event with her sharp sarcasm backed up by her versatile acting skills.

Opening up for Springs will be a student approved by the comedian herself. Recordings of stand-up shows from Tuesday night’s Open Mic Night show will be sent to Springs where she will hand pick one lucky student to warm up the audience before she performs.

Schroeder said he didn’t yet know of any other professional comedians coming to future Comedy Nights.

“We officially schedule performers in about a month or two in advance before their shows,” Schroeder said.

For a fun break during the week, be sure to see Springs’ free show at 9 p.m. Thursday at the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union.