Student resources: health & wellbeing and the SHOP

Thielen Student Health Center is Iowa State’s on-campus clinic that provides a number of services, from general health and well-being resources to vaccinations.

Ashley Tibbs

Health and well-being 

Iowa State has many resources to provide for the health and well-being of its students. The Thielen Student Health Center, located across from State Gym on Union Drive and Sheldon Avenue, offers a number of services for students. From Aug. 17 to Aug. 20, the Student Health Center will be holding a COVID-19 vaccination clinic for students, faculty and staff.  

New students need to be aware of what they are required to have before attending Iowa State and what forms students need to fill out to receive care from the Student Health Center. U.S. students are required to submit their immunization records online via AccessPlus. All new students should have received a message on AccessPlus regarding their immunization status. 

Iowa State requires students to be vaccinated against measles and highly recommends receiving the vaccination against meningitis and COVID-19 but does not require it. 

New students should also consider putting together a small first-aid kit to keep in their dorm or apartment. These can include:

• A thermometer

• Bandages

• First-aid ointment

• Over-the-counter medications (pain relievers, allergy medications, cough medicine and cold products with decongestants)

• ACE wrap for muscle strains or sprains

• A photocopy of your health insurance cards 

The Student Health Center also has a number students can call for confidential medical advice from a registered nurse 24/7. Students can call 515-294-5801 at any time to receive support. 

In addition to all the previous resources, the Student Health Center offers physical therapy and sports medicine services, located on the upper level of the Student Health Center. To schedule an appointment, students can call 515-294-2626 or direct general questions about these services to Jim Nespor, physical therapy and sports medicine director, at [email protected].

For sexual health services (including diagnosis and treatment of STIs) and comprehensive men and women’s health services, students can go to the Student Health Center to find the right treatment plan for them. Thielen Student Health Center offers HIV testing and PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) for men and women, as well as contraception options, pelvic and breast exams, pap smears and more for women. 

Visit the Thielen Student Health Center website to learn more. 

The Student Accessibility Services office supports students with disabilities and provides accommodations in housing, dietary services and academics for students that request them. New students should visit the office’s website for important information. Students will need to provide the appropriate documentation, listed on the office’s website, for housing, dietary, service animal and academic accommodations. 

Students can reach out to Student Accessibility Services by email at [email protected] or phone at 515-294-7220. The Student Accessibility Services office is located on the first floor of the Student Services Building on Union Drive. 

Finally, there are resources available to help students manage their mental health. Student Counseling Services (SCS) provides short-term individual and group therapy, in addition to crisis interventions and career counseling. 

Clinical services are available to any student currently enrolled at Iowa State. Most of the services are provided at no cost to students, but SCS will charge $25 for uncancelled missed appointments. 

To get started with SCS, students can call the office at 515-294-5056 and answer a few questions to set up an appointment. 

SCS is located on the third floor of the Student Services Building, and the office is typically open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office accepts walk-ins from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday as well.

The SHOP

Students Helping Our Peers (The SHOP) is a student-run food pantry on campus. The main pantry is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, as well as from 4 p.m to 7 p.m. Wednesdays. It is located at 1306 Beyer Hall.

All Iowa State students and staff have access to the SHOP during its open hours. There is no limit to the amount of food an individual can take or the number of visits they have. The SHOP provides nonperishable food items, like pasta or canned food, and household items, such as personal care items and cleaning products.

Students do not need to demonstrate need to utilize the SHOP, and the SHOP maintains confidentiality by not logging the records of individual students or faculty who visit the SHOP. 

Students can donate food and personal items to the SHOP or volunteer through its website.