Letter: University response ignores requests by students in trademark dispute

Cody Woodruff, Speaker of the Senate for the Iowa State Student Government addresses the crowd of club officers that gathered at Carver Hall on Nov. 1. to discuss the universities’ new trademark policies for clubs and organizations. Woodruff said that Iowa State President Wintersteen has set aside $20,000 of funding to help clubs deal with the costs of the policy if a resolution is not worked out. 

Cody Woodruff

Apology. Sorry. Regret. Those are three words that aren’t anywhere in the university administration’s response to the resolution passed by Student Government on Oct. 10 regarding the new trademark policy. While we took a month and a half to listen to students’ concerns, work with the administration, fact-find, and carefully draft a thoughtful piece of legislation that emphasized coming together, the university spent a month and a half drafting a letter that has made matters worse and included little of what we asked for. 

The administration seems to either not understand or not care how upset students are about the changes in the trademark policy, and they certainly aren’t willing to take responsibility for their actions. As Speaker of the Senate, I want to see this issue resolved by addressing it together and highlight that, regardless of whether we are students, faculty members, or administration officials, we are all Cyclones and on the same team; I fear this may no longer be possible. Perhaps the members of the administration should be reminded of the first line in Iowa State’s mission statement: “Iowa State’s focus has always been its students.” To countless students I’ve spoken with, it seems as if the administration has forgotten this.

When we celebrate our football team’s amazing success, we’re cheering on the Iowa State Cyclones, not the Ames Collegiate Redbirds. When we recognize our president, she is Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen, not President Wendy Wintersteen at Iowa State. And even in the email signatures of the university counsel and trademark director, it says Iowa State University first and then the title of their office, not the title of their office at Iowa State University. We are as much a part of the university as they are – in fact, we are the university.

So, what’s next? Vice Speaker Culbertson put it best: “If they aren’t going to hear us, then we won’t listen to them.” It’s time to cause some good trouble. The student body is energized in a way I’ve never seen before in my three years on our campus, and its student representatives stand by them. We cannot do this alone – our voice is only as powerful as you choose to make it, and we need students alongside us in this fight.

At a time when it seems our national and state government have failed the people they serve, I promise you that your Student Government will not. We can and will show what good government is supposed to look like. We’re not divided by party or partisan politics; we’re united by our desire to serve students. We’re not controlled by special interests; we’re governed by student interests. Many people think that members of Student Government have got nothing better to do. They’re absolutely right, because there’s nothing better we can do. As another member once said, “This platform provides us with the ultimate opportunity to leave our marks on this wonderful school.” We intend to use it and leave a legacy all of us will be proud of.

It’s time to do what the university says we should in the third sentence of the ISU mission statement: “…test [our] leadership skills in 800-plus campus organizations.” Our student organizations are an immense point of pride for this university, and many are known nationally and even internationally. It’s time to show the university what we’re truly capable. Every great leader started out as a student, and it’s often ordinary people who do the most extraordinary things. Our school is filled with change makers and barrier breakers, so imagine what we can accomplish together! It’s young people like us that offer a shining beacon of hope for our future. Let’s show the university what impact we can have.

Reach out to us with your thoughts, give us ideas on how we can move forward, and tell us what you want to see – we are listening to you. The administration would do well to listen to us: this fight is just beginning.