Iowa State sweeps Kansas for the second time this season

Then-freshman Eleanor Holthaus celebrates a point victory at the Iowa State vs. Texas volleyball game Oct. 24 at Hilton Coliseum. Holthaus has expanded her role from her freshman year and is now working on hitting from the back row.

Jack Shover

In three straight sets, Iowa State defeated Kansas on Wednesday.

Iowa State took the sets 27-25, 25-18 and 25-22.

Earlier this season, the Cyclones downed the Jayhawks in straight sets on the road.

Iowa State hasn’t beaten Kansas twice in a season since 2011, when Iowa State also swept the Jayhawks twice.

With the win over Kansas, the Cyclones hold a 15-13 overall record with only one regular season left.

In Big 12 play, Iowa State is now 8-7.

Against Kansas, the Cyclones were able to hold the Jayhawks to a .155 hitting percentage and recorded eight blocks in the three sets played.

Middle blocker Candelaria Herrera led all players in total blocks with five total. One block was solo and four were block assists.

On the attack, the Cyclones had two players with double digit kills and the team had a .291 hitting percentage. 

The players who had double digit kills were Jess Schaben with 11 and Eleanor Holthaus with 13.

Holthaus had an efficient .722 hitting percentage, while Schaben hit .242.

On those scoring plays, setter Piper Mauck had 41 of the team’s 42 assists.

Looking forward, Iowa State’s last remaining regular season game is Friday at 6:30 p.m. against Texas Tech.