Student Government hosts residency fair for students looking at housing options

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

Apartment building on Stanton Avenue.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government hosted 24 off-campus housing organizations, the Department of Residence, Student Legal Services and the Ames Tenant Union on Thursday to give students the opportunity to see a variety of residency options in one place.

As students explored off-campus living opportunities, they also had the chance to ask landlords questions, learn how to read leases and see what rights they have as student renters.

Student Legal Services was available at the event to provide tips to ensure the renter understands the lease and gets the most out of their renter’s agreement. The service recommended students read over the leases with legal counsel, offered free through Student Legal Services.

“We are here in case people have questions about the contracts they are going to enter into, their rights and responsibilities in relation to renting and living in the city,” said Paul Johnson, an attorney with Student Legal Services.

The Department of Residence was also in attendance and focused on helping students decide whether it is more beneficial to re-contract and stay on campus or if they might be better served on off-campus properties.

“The more information you can get, the better,” said Chad Bauman, a communications specialist with the Department of Residency. “Whether you are on-campus, off-campus, in East Ames, West Ames, or on Central Campus, it’s all here. It’s a one-stop shop.”

Twenty four landlords and off-campus residences were in attendance at the fair to answer questions that students had and to promote the benefits of their residencies.

“I wish, when I was a student, we had been doing something like this because it gives you the chance to explore all your options. I know you can do it on the internet, but its nice to be able to put a face to the name and have a real conversation with someone,” said Brianna Baker, a representative of South Duff Apartments.

Student Government Director of Residency Dozmen Lee said he was pleased with the turnout at the fair and the amount of students he saw utilizing the resources available. Students had the chance to see and consider many different options, rather than being pressured into choosing one right away.

“In the future, we plan on having another fair in the springtime, now that we can iron out some of the details,” said Lee. “I am really liking how its been going, and this is definitely something we are going to continue in the future.”