‘It’s difficult to be a first-generation college student, but it isn’t impossible’

Courtesy of Genesis Galdamez

Genesis Galdamez, then senior in apparel, merchandising and design, was a first generation student at Iowa State.

Genesis Galdamez

Genesis Galdamez, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, shared a brief experience of being a first-generation student as a guest columnist for the Voices section.

Being a first-generation student in college is so important to me. It is important to help provide for my family in the future because they have helped me through everything. I am very blessed to have made it to this point where I am so close to graduating.

Some of the struggles I have experienced were that I didn’t have an older sibling or family members to ask them questions about college. I had to figure it out on my own by asking advisers and seeking other people to answer my questions.

Making friends was another challenge I faced because of my personality as I am shy and more of an introvert. I am also a home-bound person, so I became homesick and missed my family. Although it has been difficult, it has been worth it.

My mom would tell me the time here at school would go by fast and it is something I had to do for my family. I’m glad I can inspire my little sister and I’m grateful for my family’s support to help me reach higher education. It is difficult to be a first-generation college student, but it isn’t impossible.