BREAKING: Fannon receives contract extension through 2026

Collin Maguire

Iowa State soccer head coach Matt Fannon speaks to an official during the Cyclones’ 1-0 loss to No. 15 Memphis on Sept. 9, 2021.

Andrew Harrington, Sports Editor

Iowa State soccer’s head coach Matt Fannon has received a contract extension through the 2026 season per a release from the Athletics Department on Monday.

Fannon’s contract was set to expire at the end of 2024, but now will run till Dec. 31, 2026.

Fannon has compiled a record of 11-27-9 in his time at Iowa State, most recently finishing 3-10-4.

Fannon was recently accused of verbal abuse and body-shaming, and has had former and current players come forward both for and against his practices.

Calli Sanders, who oversees Iowa State soccer operations, said in the release that the department believes Fannon is taking the team in the right direction.

“In the last three years – including recent feedback from our current student-athletes – there is an overwhelming confidence in the leadership of our soccer program and the trajectory of the team’s future,” Sanders said.

Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard also expressed his excitement for the extension in the release.

“He is instilling the same levels of expectation, discipline and accountability towards our student-athletes that all of our head coaches seek. I am excited about the future of our soccer program under Matt’s leadership,” Pollard said.

The Iowa State Daily reached out to the Athletics Department for an interview regarding the extension but the department declined to comment.