“One down, a bunch to go”: Iowa State beats Cal Baptist in home opener

Jacob Rice

Iowa State sophomore Yonger Bastida wins by technical fall in his match against California State Bakersfield’s Josh Loomer in the Cyclones’ 44-0 win over the Roadrunners on Jan. 12.

AMES — Iowa State wrestling continued its early season momentum Saturday evening, cruising past California Baptist in a dual meet. 

The Cyclones finished ahead of the Lancers 39-9, winning all but two matches against the newest member of the Big 12 conference. Iowa State extended its second-longest winning streak in NCAA wrestling to 17 with Saturday night’s win.

“One down, a bunch to go,” Iowa State head coach Kevin Dresser said. “I think we felt good at six weights and maybe not four.”

The No. 9 Cyclones lost matches at two weight classes with ranked wrestlers in the lineup. 

The dual started with Iowa State freshman Paniro Johnson at 149-pounds. The Cyclone head coach chose to start the home opener with Johnson to display the newcomer’s hard work. Johnson continued his strong start to his collegiate career with a win by major decision over Chaz Hallmark. 

“That was the starting point,” Johnson said after the dual. “I’m going to get a lot better every single week.”

Iowa State, who moved up in the national rankings to No. 9 from No. 14, enjoyed two straight pins early. Cyclone seniors David Carr and Jason Kraisser secured pins of their opponents in the second and third matches of the night. 

But the Cyclones, who weighed one hour before a dual meet for the first time this season, struggled to feel comfortable at certain weights. California Baptist, with a 1-1 record in duals, was more prepared weighing in just before Saturday’s dual began, Dresser said. 

Last weekend, Iowa State weighed in at the beginning of the Battle in the River City, allowing the Cyclones time to get comfortable before their 6:30 p.m. statement win against No. 12 Wisconsin. 

Saturday night, The Lancers enjoyed wins at the 125 and 133-pound weight classes, including Hunter Leake’s win by fall over Iowa State’s No. 12 Zach Redding. 

“I take my hat off to both athletes from Cal Baptist,” Dresser said. “But we have to grow up and learn there. This is an everyday thing. You can’t be 80 percent in.”

Iowa State’s No. 15 Kysen Terukina lost a frustrating match at 125-pounds to Elijah Griffin from California Baptist. Terukina surrendered a point by starting before the whistle and failed to secure a takedown after several attempts in the third period. He lost by decision, 4-2. 

At 157, Kraisser entered the home opener for Iowa State 0-2 and picked up his first win in a Cyclone uniform. Kraisser, a senior transfer from Campbell, redshirted last season and has entered the starting lineup since Carr moved to the 165-pound weight class. 

At the Battle in the River City tournament last weekend, Kraisser fell to Wisconsin’s No. 18 Garrett Model and Little Rock’s Matty Bianchi. In his first performance on the mat at Hilton Coliseum, Kraisser pinned California Baptist’s Joseph Mora. 

Iowa State freshman Casey Swiderski finished the dual with the fourth win of his career and the first at Hilton Coliseum. Swiderski lit up the scoreboard with 12 takedowns in his 28-13 win over Edison Alinas. 

“I think the team did alright,” Swiderski said. “Definitely have a lot of things to work on and perfect still. I think it’s only up from here.”