Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones win first Big 12 wrestling title since 2009

Elizabeth Lane
Yonger Bastida celebrates after winning his 285 pound match during the Iowa State vs Missouri wrestling dual at Hilton Coliseum, Feb. 25, 2024.

Just six years ago, in Kevin Dresser’s first year as Iowa State’s head coach, the Cyclones went 8-10 in duals and finished in seventh place in the Big 12. Now, after years of rebuilding the program, the Cyclones find themselves back at the top of the Big 12 for the first time since 2009.

Along with that, the Cyclones came out of the finals with two champions.

Cyclones add key points in consolation rounds

It was not all about the five Cyclones that advanced their way to the finals. Four Cyclones made their way to the podium, with some securing key bonus points to help keep the lead over Oklahoma State in the team standings.

Casey Swiderski led the way for the Cyclones in session three at 149 pounds.

Swiderski looked determined to bounce back from his controversial loss in Saturday’s semifinals, as he secured a 19-5 major decision over Oklahoma State’s Willie McDougald before defeating Wyoming’s Gabe Willochell by a 22-6 tech fall to take home third place.

MJ Gaitan secured bonus points in a major decision win over Missouri’s Peyton Mocco before taking a loss in the third place match at 174 pounds.

Kysen Terukina came into the weekend as the No. 6 seed, but came out above his seed line, finishing in fourth place. Terukina defeated South Dakota State’s Tanner Jordan 10-6 before being pinned in the third-place match.

The bonus points proved crucial as Iowa State ended session three in the lead with 144.5 team points, seven points ahead of second-place Oklahoma State.

Anthony Echemendia takes home Big 12 title at 141 pounds

Anthony Echemendia moved to Tucson, Arizona, from Cuba in 2018 with plans to wrestle in the U.S at the collegiate level.

After his successful high school career Echemendia unofficially committed to Iowa State, before ultimately signing with Ohio State.

After three years as a Buckeye, Echemendia entered the transfer portal and eventually enrolled at the school he initially committed to: Iowa State. Now, in his first year as a Cyclone, he is a Big 12 Champion.

Echemendia dominated his way through the first three rounds of the tournament. He won all three matches with bonus points, securing tech falls in the first round and quarterfinal matches, before defeating West Virginia’s Jordan Titus by major decision in the semifinals.

The final match would not be that easy.

Waiting for Echemendia was in-state opponent and No. 3 seed Cael Happel.

Echemendia and Happel had faced once before, with Echemendia taking a 9-6 win in the dual earlier in the season. Sunday’s final was not as explosive as their first match, but the result was the same.

Echemendia scored an early takedown to take a 3-0 lead and essentially got on the defensive the rest of the match. The only other scoring that would come in the match came from escapes, as Echemendia kept Happel at arms reach, ultimately winning the match 4-2.

Echemendia’s win was what would ultimately secure the Big 12 title for the Cyclones.

Bastida wins heavyweight championship

Echemendia was not the only Cuban Cyclone to take home a championship Sunday.

In his first year at 285 pounds, Iowa State’s Yonger Bastida won his first Big 12 championship.

Bastida has been dominant all season, entering the Big 12 Championships with an undefeated record, and he was just as dominant in his run to the final.

Bastida started his title run with two pins, before securing an 11-3 major decision win over Missouri’s No. 3 seed Zach Elam.

Waiting for Bastida in the final was fellow undefeated and No. 1 seed Wyatt ​​Hendrickson from Air Force.

Hendrickson, the two-time defending Big 12 champion, came into the match with a 23-0 record and the most wins by pinfall in the country with 16.

However, Bastida was unfazed, taking Hendrickson to the mat and getting him to his back to take a 6-1 lead in the second period.

Hendrickson would cut the lead to 6-5 before Bastida secured one last takedown to put the match out of reach, ultimately securing the championship with a 10-7 victory and cementing himself as one of the favorites to win a national title.

The match was the perfect way to end the weekend and the Big 12 season for the Cyclones.

The focus now turns to the NCAA Championships, as seven wrestlers head to Kansas City to compete to become All-Americans or even national champions.