Ames Haunted Forest celebrates 20 years of spooks, chills & thrills

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Seniors Ian Warren and Tirra Birchmier pose in the Haunted Forest on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016. Birchmier and Warren are friends who work together as a scaring duo in the Forest. 

Meg Grice

The Ames Haunted Forest has been in operation since 1998, but visitors should be prepared for even more terrifying frights and sights for its 20th anniversary year.  

The Haunted Forest’s past actually began in Mesquite, Texas. The Ballard brothers, Lee and Lynn, met a gentleman, Curtis Craxton, building his own haunted house and eventually got talking about their own property.

Craxton couldn’t believe the opportunities in the brothers’ possession — timber, parking and electricity. Craxton then convinced the Ballards to invest $70,000 in the creation of the Ames Haunted Forest. He was even a partner for a few years with the Ames Haunted Forest. 

Lynn and Lee Ballard have since owned and operated the Ames Haunted Forest for the past 20 years. Beginning Aug. 1 of each year, the families of Lynn and Lee implement construction.

In groups of around two to 10, visitors to the forest make their own way through the journey by following trail markers. Though the tour differs each year, visitors can expect a 20-minute-walk with four to five enclosures. 

These “scenes” can feature a variety of chilling terrors, from an insane asylum to an execution room. These rooms are not strictly imagined by the Ballard brothers, however. 

“Our actors are the ones that come up with most of the ideas,” said Lee Ballard.

Most students come to college looking for a job, and the college students Ballard employs truly make the experience what it is today. Students can look at the Iowa State Job Board before the start of classes.

“The ones that do it … they’re really into Halloween,” Lee Ballard said. “They’re really creative and outgoing, and they all do such a great job. The students are the reason that we’re successful.”

Wanting to keep the experience fresh for customers, Lee Ballard noted how they change the trail at least every other year. A few years ago, the trail was increased in length by about 300 yards.

As a possibility for next year, the creek near the main route has gained more sand due to flooding. This has the possibility to be a new attraction.

This year, the Ames Haunted Forest has bumped up the performance with more actors as well as an insane asylum. Actors have made the forest what it is today, and their opinions about current trends have a major impact on the forest’s success. Ballard assists with the students’ visions and helps find the materials necessary.

For those who are reluctant about the horrors within the deep woods, younger visitors are expected at around 7 p.m. As the night progresses, the actors up the antics a bit more as older individuals pass through. 

“People scare people, not like animatronic equipment,” Lee Ballard said. “I don’t care if you’re 15, 25, 35, 45 or 55, you’re going to come out of there being scared and startled several times.”

A huge following also seems to take place with the Ames Haunted Forest. Ballard explained how people from all over Iowa show up, some driving over a hundred miles just to get a glimpse of the horrors inside.

The true magic behind the Ames Haunted Forest, however, is the family contribution by Lee Ballard and his family.

“It’s just fun for our whole family to be involved in it,” Lee Ballard said. “All of us work together. My dad was a magician for 30 or 40 years … he just loved that kind of entertainment. He was the first one to say ‘let’s do this.'”

Though the lines are long, the screams ahead of future attendees provide an exciting invitation of what’s to come. 

The last night of this horrifying attraction is on Oct. 31 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. one block east of Jack Trice Stadium.