Cardinal Court

Julia Meehan

As homecoming celebrations emerge throughout campus, the Cardinal Court Scholarship acknowledges ten seniors. This high honor awards and recognizes seniors who exemplify great character, a gratitude and commitment to Iowa State University, high academic achievement, leadership on campus and service to the community. For the 2018 Cardinal Court, these students will embody Iowa State with true Cyclone pride.

Name: Tyler Carlson

Classification: Senior

From: West Des Moines, Iowa

Major: Accounting

Campus Involvement: As a Cyclone, he has participated in Project Jamaica, Iowa Statesman Choir Group, Iowa State Dance Marathon, Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, Fraternal Values Society, Order of Omega, Gamma Sigma Alpha and Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Societies.

Community Contribution: He has given back by volunteering at the Food Drive, Meals from the Heartland, Valley Disaster Relief, Food at First, Kiwanis Miracle League and Extra Life. An interesting volunteer opportunity he has experienced is playing cribbage at Heartland Senior Services.

After Graduation: Tyler Carlson plans continuing his CPA and work in the Des Moines Metro area.

—————————————

Name: Derek Doeing

Classification: Senior

From: Newark, Illinois

Major: Agriculture communication

Campus Involvement: He has been involved in Senior Director of Communication for Student Government, is a CALS Council Member and a member of the International Agriculture Club. He is honored to represent the Chi Phi fraternity as a chartering member. For his chapter, he has served as both Recruitment Chair and New Member Educator.

Community Contribution: Food at First, Boys and Girls Club and the Capital City Pride Festival in Des Moines are a variation of initiatives in the community, which Derek supports.

After Graduation: Derek Doeing will begin his career as a marketing professional by moving to Chicago.

———————————–

Name: Sydney Borys

Classification: Senior

From: Edina, Minnesota

Major: Kinesiology with a minor in psychology

Campus Involvement: She belongs to her sorority Chi Omega and was the former president in 2017. In the past two years, Sydney has been a freshman peer mentor for kinesiology students. Recently, she was honored for the 2019 Executive General CO-Director for Iowa State Dance Marathon. Furthermore, she is a part of the Fraternal Values Society, through SALC she is a member of Senior Class Council and a member of Order of Omega. While working at recreational services she supervises intramural sports.

Community Contribution: In her free time, she volunteers at Raising Readers in Ames, Food at First, Make-A-Wish and Special Olympics. Frequently, Sydney has done service work

After Graduation: Sydney Borys will end up either at Drake University or Creighton University pursuing her doctorate in Occupational Therapy.

———————————————–

Name: Isa Cournoyer

Classification: Senior

From: Redwood Falls, Minnesota

Major: Journalism and mass communications

Campus Involvement: Through her years at Iowa State, she’s been a part of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta, along with other student organizations, such as Greenlee School TV, International Student Council and United Native American Student Association.

Community Contribution: While she endeavors into her own life, her main goal is to help others as much as she possibly can. By doing so, Isa has volunteered through her sorority philanthropy, Gamma Phi Beta, Girls on the Run. Girls on the Run raises money and helps girls train for the 5k. As well as, going down to Des Moines in the fall for the 5k. She is passionate about donating and during the Homecoming Blood Drive she received her Gallon-Donor pin from American Red Cross. Isa enjoys getting involved with Special Olympics and whenever there are opportunities to help out, she tries to volunteer at events in the Ames or Des Moines area.  

After Graduation: Isa Cournoyer’s aspirations are to serve in the Peace Corps as a Youth Development Volunteer. She plans to follow into further education after participating in the Peace Corps, specifically a master’s degree in International Policy and Foreign Affairs.

———————————————–

Name: Amber Klein

Classification: Senior

From: Wells, Minnesota

Major: Communication studies with a minor in business and a leadership certificate.

Campus Involvement: Over the years, she has been the teaching assistant for the President’s Leadership Class, a Student Admissions Representative and an assistant at the Academic Success Center. Furthermore, an executive member of house and hall councils, a member of PrISUm Solar Car and an undergraduate researcher.

Community Contribution: There are many community organizations Amber has volunteered with, especially as a Pastoral Council member, weekly small group leader at St. Thomas Aquinas and live-in peer minister.

After Graduation: Amber Klein plans to seek an opportunity in supply chain management.

————————————-

Name: Michaela Spaulding

Classification: Senior

From: Fort Dodge, Iowa

Major: Aerospace engineering with minors in non-destructive testing and political science.

Campus Involvement: During her time at Iowa State, she has involved herself in the Aerospace Student Council, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Society of Women Engineers and an inaugural fellow of the Brooke Owens Fellowship Program. As well as, belonging to her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, Cardinal Key Honors Society, Order of Omega and Rho Lambda Honors Society.

Community Contribution: She has taken time out of her day to volunteer as a mentor to middle school kids for the Los Angeles Team Mentoring Program, a mentor for the Brooke Owens Fellowship Program and a peer mentor for the Aerospace Department at ISU.

After Graduation: Michaela Spaulding will attend graduate school to broaden her education of a master’s degree in rocket propulsion and engineering. She has a drive to start her own company in the space industry to concentrate on rocket engine designs for advanced manufacturing techniques to make private spaceflight more affordable. She’ll remain to mentor the next generation of space fanatics.

————————–

Name: Mallory Majors

Classification: Senior

From: Ankeny, Iowa

Major: Kinesiology and health with a minor in health promotion.

Campus Involvement: In her time as a Cyclone, she has held positions in leadership with Cardinal Key Honor Society, Rho Lambda Honor Society and her sorority, Delta Delta Delta. She’s also the president of the Kinesiology and Health Club.

Community Contributions: She has volunteered and coordinated her time with Special Olympics of Iowa. For the anatomy department, she is an undergraduate TA. For ChildServe she worked by aiding children with intellectual disabilities on their goals in the community.

After Graduation: Mallory Majors will acquire a Doctorate degree in occupational therapy at Drake University. After attaining her Doctorate, she anticipates helping those with traumatic brain injuries and center herself on research.

————————————-

Name: Jennifer Sigmon

Classification: Senior

From: Marion, Iowa

Major: Communication studies and marketing

Campus Involvement: Through her years at ISU, in Alpha Delta Pi she served as Philanthropy and Community Service Chairs, a STAR for the Admissions Department and for last year’s Homecoming 2017 the Community Service Co-Chair. She is currently the Vice President for multiple council’s, such as the Collegiate Panhellenic Council, specifically, Philanthropy and Community Service and the Student Alumni Leadership Council. Jennifer is a member of St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.

Community Contribution: She has volunteered with Iowa State by studying abroad with two service learnings In Jamaica and Peru.

After Graduation: Jennifer Sigmon will be working in marketing with John Deere’s Ag and Turf Division.

————————————

Name: Blake Heitman

Classification: Senior

From: Roselle, Illinois

Major: Marketing and management with a leadership studies minor.

Campus Involvement: As a passionate Cyclone, he is the current president of the Student Alumni Leadership Council. He participates as a member of FarmHouse Fraternity and plays for the Iowa State club volleyball team. Currently as a Cyclone, he works as student marketing intern for Iowa State Athletics and serving on the Recruitment and Dancer Relations committee for Dance Marathon. Blake has been involved in Freshman Council, Cyclone Alley Central Committee and was selected to be a member of the Cardinal Key Honor Society.

Community Contribution: Dance Marathon is the biggest way he contributes to the community. In addition to Dance Marathon, he participates in active volunteering, raising money for charitable causes and lending a hand in charity runs and walks around the Ames community.

After Graduation: Blake Heitman’s plans after graduation are to find a job in sports marketing working with a collegiate athletics department.

——————————-

Name: Gary Wynne

Classification: Senior

From: Alexis, Illinois

Major: A double-major in agricultural business and international agriculture with a minor in Spanish.

Campus Involvement: He was chosen by the former University President Steven Leath to return the following year as a Sophomore Advisor after being a member of the President’s Leadership Class. For Iowa State Dance Marathon, he has participated as the Executive General Co-Director, a scholar in the Vermeer International Leadership Program and currently the Vice President for the Senior Class Council.

Community Contribution: Gary has given back to the Ames community through “English as a second language” mentor for children at local elementary schools. This spring break he will be traveling to Costa Rica for a mission trip through his involvement with Salt Company at Cornerstone Church. He has raised donations for the Stead Family’s Children Hospital in Iowa City by getting involved in ISU Dance Marathon.

After Graduation: Gary Wayne plans on employment in agricultural policy and international relations in Washington, D.C.