Petzold: How many more?

Megan Petzold/ Iowa State Daily

During the Iowa State National School Walk Out on April 20th, 2018, students from all walks of life gathered to hear more about gun violence and honoring those who have been impacted by it. 

Megan Petzold, Columnist

Students, families, friends, and even strangers mourn the losses of the Michigan State University college students Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser and Alexandria Verner. 

Along with those three students, “The suspect has been identified as 43-year-old Anthony Dwayne McRae and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

With three students deceased and five injured, I just have one thing to ask:

How many more?

As of Feb. 15, according to an article from USA Today, there have been 71 mass shootings nationwide. 

“Last year, the number of school shootings and people killed or injured during those incidents hit a record high — 132 incidents…seventy-four people died and 190 were injured by firearms at schools across the country.” 

This year, in two months alone, we have already endured almost half of the mass shootings there was last year. At this rate, there will be over 400 mass shootings in 2023.

How many more?

Around noon on Feb. 13, a 15-year-old high school student was killed due to an incident involving a firearm at a school in Dalhart, Texas. The family and the school suggest it was a complete accident. My question is, how did a 15-year-old get ahold of a gun?

So, where did this student get a gun, and, unfortunately, the main question crossing my mind is, what was their original intention when they got the gun that was used?

How many more?

I would love to say that changing the age limit for purchase, concealed carry and everything else revolving around gun laws is going to help the tragic events going on in America. 

I would love to say that asking people to take additional tests or certifications will decrease the number of shootings, accidents and mass shootings.

I would love to blink and have this issue resolved. But unfortunately, complex issues such as this require complex solutions which I do not have. 

Alone, I cannot find and enforce solutions to our nation’s issues. It takes a village and the understanding that if things do not change, we will just keep falling deeper into this hole we have created. 

So, until we can come together and find a way to solve this issue, I’ll leave you with one thought. 

How many more innocent lives are we willing to lose? 

How many more children, college students and adults will be traumatized for their whole lives?

How many more people will continue to live in fear every day?

How many more?