Takeaways: Iowa State wins first Big 12 game

Sophomore goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg catches an attempted goal during the first half of the game against UNI on Sept. 6. ISU lost 0-1.

Zane Douglas

Iowa State soccer won a huge game against Oklahoma State on Sunday to keep its Big 12 tournament hopes alive. There is one game to go.

Tournament still in play

The Cyclones came into Sunday with their backs against the wall and one shot at tournament hopes. They executed on the first part of the plan, as they took care of Oklahoma State for their first win of conference play.

The Cyclones improved their conference record to 1-6-1, while Oklahoma State fell to 2-5-1 within the conference. Iowa State needs to win on Thursday at home against Kansas State, and Oklahoma State needs to lose at home against Texas Christian for the Cyclones to make the Big 12 tournament. The Cyclones hold the tiebreaker over the Cowgirls for the eighth and final spot if they were to tie based on their win on Sunday.

Ginther shines

Sophomore forward Kassi Ginther added her fourth goal of conference play on Sunday, her second of the weekend, and awarded her a tie for the conference lead.

Senior Klasey Medelberg was fouled in the 55th minute inside the box for Oklahoma State, and Ginther was chosen to take the kick by the Cyclones.

Ginther put the ball in the back of the net, which added insurance for the Cyclones who won 2-0. Ginther is a forward converted from a midfielder and has been the most effective goal-scoring weapon for the Cyclones this season.

Her goal also moves her into a tie for the team lead in points with nine. The Missouri native also scored in the Friday contest against Oklahoma. Ginther has emerged from the bench and was only starting her 10th game of the year on Sunday.

Stifling defense

Iowa State recorded its first shutout since their 0-0 draw against Denver on Aug. 31. It is just the third shutout of the year.

Sophomore goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg had 18 shots fired in her direction, with six coming on goal, but she was able to snuff out everything that the Cowgirls threw at her.

The Cyclones were outshot in this game but were able to limit the number of opportunities for Oklahoma State which made it easier on Schwichtenberg. The Big 12’s leader in saves has been worked hard this season, and she played well on Sunday.

Oklahoma State has been outshot on the season, but they’ve been able to get their shots on goal at a higher rate than opponents, which made them a tough team to hold down.

Even though the Cyclones only have one conference win, it seems that they are in a good position to sneak into the Big 12 tournament. The last spot is still up for grabs.