Takeaways: Defensive struggles continue

Senior Klasey Medelberg and Sophomore Courtney Powell attempts to keep the ball away from Iowa State’s goal during the Iowa State verses Baylor game on October 7th. The cyclones lost 2-1 to the bears. 

Sam Stuve

The Iowa State Cyclones lost another close game, this time to the Oklahoma Sooners on Friday night, and now the Cyclones are 1-9-2 in games decided by one goal or less. The Cyclones have come close to winning, but they haven’t been able to get over the hump.

Coming into Friday night’s matchup between the Cyclones and the Sooners in Norman, Oklahoma, both teams needed a win to bolster their chances in advancing into the Big 12 tournament. An early second-half goal lifted the Sooners over the Cyclones 2-1. 

The Cyclones are now 2-13-2 this season and 0-6-1 in Big 12 play.

Cyclones offense effective early

For the most part this season, the Cyclones’ opponents have jumped out to an early lead. However, against the Sooners on Friday night, the Cyclones took an early lead over the Sooners. 

Iowa State took six shots, with three shots on goal and their only goal coming in the first 15 minutes of play. Sophomore forward Courtney Powell intercepted a pass and found sophomore forward Kassi Ginther, who scored for the Cyclones in the 14th minute. The goal was Ginther’s third goal of the season and Powell’s first assist on the season. 

The Cyclones and Sooners both scored in the first half, as they were locked at 1-1 at halftime.

Ginther’s goal was the only goal the Cyclones were able to score against the Sooners.

Defensive struggles continue for the Cyclones

In 11 of the 17 games that the Cyclones have played this season, their opponents have scored two or more goals. Friday night was no different, as goals by Marissa McMahand and Emily Parker gave the Sooners a 2-1 victory over the Cyclones.

So far this season, the Cyclones have allowed the most goals in the Big 12. However, the Cyclones also lead the league in saves with 90.

Despite the Cyclones allowing the most goals in the Big 12, there is a reason for optimism for the Cyclones, as three of the four starting defenders for the Cyclones on defense are sophomores and goalie Dayja Schwichtenberg is also a sophomore. The Cyclones should continue to progress as time goes on.

The Cyclones have solid pieces but haven’t found a consistent groove, which has resulted in goals for the opposing team.

The Cyclones have to win out to have a shot of making the Big 12 tournament

The two games the Cyclones have left on their schedule are the Oklahoma State Cowgirls and the Kansas State Wildcats.

The Cyclones currently sit in ninth place out of 10 teams in the Big 12 with a 0-6-1 record in conference play. The Cowgirls are 2-4-1 in the Big 12 and are in eighth place, and the Wildcats are 0-7 in the Big 12 and are in last place.

With this loss to the Sooners, Iowa State now must beat the Cowgirls on Sunday and have TCU defeat the Cowgirls on Thursday night.

The Cyclones and Cowgirls play each other on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Stillwater, Oklahoma.