February’s winter weather caused more accidents, Ames PD activity report shows

Ames+Police+vehicle+outside+of+the+police+station.+

Jacob Rice

Ames Police vehicle outside of the police station.

Mackenzie Bodell, Senior Reporter

February brought an increase in accidents due to the winter weather that hit Ames. Accidents saw roughly a 25% increase, going from 106 to 141. Combined with students being fully back on campus, written warnings also saw an increase of about 31%.

February calls for service remained the same as in January at 2,317 calls. Citations decreased from 221 in January to 198. 

The department did a lot of training in February. It was mandated for the patrol to take part in a mental health training. The department brought an outside individual in to speak to all of the officers about trauma. 

There was a sextortion webinar that a cop, an officer and a detective attended. Another webinar that a few officers attended was about mental health wellness check-ins. 

February was a big month for the department, Sergeant Amber Christian said. 

“I think that February was a good kickoff to the year in which we started our 44th Citizens Police Academy,” Christian said. 

The department also focused on outreach events during the month. Officers attended the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People banquet and the Story County Boys and Girls Club annual gala. As spring approaches, the department is excited to get out and connect with students and community members. 

“It’s just really important we continue to hit on outreach and community engagement,” Christian said. 

Summary statistics:

Year-to-date calls for service: 4,743

February calls for service: 2,371

February arrests/charges: 117

February citations: 198

February use of force incidents: 13

February accidents: 141

February written warnings: 161

Total estimated damage: $466,600

In February, the total estimated damage was $466,600. The total estimated damage is calculated by an officer’s best judgment on any damage caused by accidents.

More information regarding February statistics, training and outreach can be found in the report.