Ames PD does outreach work for Ukrainian refugees, March activity report showed

Matt Belinson / Iowa State Daily

Ames Police respond to a fire on Aug. 28, 2020.

Mackenzie Bodell, Senior Reporter

The Ames Police Department focused on outreach and engagement, while crime and service statistics stayed relatively the same. 

The Ames Police Department works to build its relationship with the Ukrainian refugees in Ames through outreach and engagement in March. The department did a presentation for the Ukrainian refugees in the Ames community to get to know each other better. 

It was a heavy month for outreach and engagement, especially with the 44th Citizen Police Academy. The academy completed weeks three through seven. This included the department reviewing the use of force overview and scenarios, animal control and active shooter response. 

The department’s mental health advocate held a presentation and the Story County Attorney’s Office helped with a mock trial. 

The community resource officer, Nate Rivera, attended a presentation for a psychology class at Iowa State as well as a violence in the workplace presentation for a local grocery store. 

Bars were also a focus in March, with three officers conducting alcohol compliance checks at licensed liquor establishments and ID training. 

“We’re finally hopefully heading into spring, and the weather is going to be nicer, so we get out and do more events,” public information officer Sgt. Amber Christian said. 

Statistics

Accidents decreased from 141 in February to 89 in March. Written warnings also decreased from 161 to 118. This decrease can be attributed to the nicer weather, and as well students being gone for spring break. 

“March was a decrease because we didn’t have a lot of snow, plus we had a spring break where students were gone,” Christian said. 

Other statistics remained relatively unchanged. 

Summary statistics:

Year-to-date calls for service: 7129

March calls for service: 2389

March arrests/charges: 109

March citations: 199

March use of force incidents: 11

March accidents: 89

March written warnings: 118

Total estimated damage: $403,200

In March, the total estimated damage was $403,200. The total estimated damage is calculated by an officer’s best judgment on any damage caused by accidents.

More information regarding March statistics, training and outreach can be found in the report