No injuries after basement fire in residential home

Daniel Jacobi II

Jonathan Young, left, and Judd Baer, right, two of the four tenants who showed up to the scene, look over a pile of burnt and melted debris after a basement fire broke out on April 21, 2023, at their rented house along Ash Avenue.

Brenna Cohoon, Student Life Reporter

A fire started in the basement of a residential home, and while no one was hurt, the owners have been temporarily relocated due to the smoke damage.

The Ames Fire Department dispatched to the house after neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from the house at 5:48 p.m. Friday. The residents were not home at the time of the fire. The crew found smoke coming from the roof and basement upon arrival. The firefighters used a thermal imager to verify that the blaze was in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to one room.

The time frame for this temporary relocation is unknown, and the cause of the fire has not yet been identified. The fire’s duration is not known.

According to Shift Cmdr. Brad Jerkins, it is assumed that this was a one-story home with a basement and potential attic. Jerkins was not present on the site of the fire.