Iowa Stater book club connects alumni and community members

Courtesy of Unsplash

The Iowa Stater Book Club is connecting Ames community members and Iowa State alumni from across the country through a free, virtual book club. Iowa Stater is the official print magazine offered to ISU Alumni Association members.

The book club is sponsored by alumni-owned Dog-Eared Books, and participants can pick up a copy of the book in-store. The next virtual book club meeting is at 7 p.m. CST Sept. 6. Matt Van Winkle, one of the hosts of the book club, encourages anyone interested to join.

“We wanted to make sure that this event was inclusive to everybody and free to whoever wants to participate,” Van Winkle said.

The current book is “The Stars Beneath Our Feet,” written by David Barclay Moore, an Iowa State University alum and a Coretta Scott King John Steptoe award winner for his book. Participants get to meet and interact with the author of the featured book during the YouTube live stream.

“Probably the coolest part for me too is actually getting to talk with these authors,” Van Winkle said.

The book club has seen support from across the country, uniting alumni and keeping them connected. Their upcoming meeting will be the third virtual event.

“Our tagline is ‘Cyclones Everywhere,’” Van Winkle said. “Last time we had registrations from over 20 different states.”

Amanda Lepper, co-owner of Dog-Eared Books and Iowa State alum, explained the importance of staying connected as a local business to the community and university.

“Having that connection with our alumni and one of our most important institutions in town is only a beneficial opportunity,” Lepper said. “Finding more readers to connect with what we offer at Dog-Eared Books and to do anything with Iowa State as a proud Cyclone is really an honor and a privilege.”

Those interested in joining the book club can sign up for free and purchase a physical copy of “The Stars Beneath Our Feet” at Dog-Eared Books or listen to the audiobook.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500