Breaking: Iowa’s “fetal heartbeat” bill temporarily blocked

Hannah Olson / Iowa State Daily
Protestors hold signs that read, “I stand with Planned Parenthood,” and “Love, Respect, Equality,” during the Women’s March in Des Moines. Signs and speakers highlighted a variety of issues including LGBTQ+ rights, women’s healthcare and President Trump’s cabinet choices.

Iowa’s “fetal heartbeat” bill was temporarily blocked Monday by a Polk County District Court after being signed by Gov. Kim Reynolds on Friday, which means the prior law is in effect again that allows for abortion up to 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Those seeking an abortion in the state will still have to have an ultrasound and undergo a 24-hour waiting period.

In a statement Monday, Reynolds said “life was protected” in the few days the law was in effect, and with the blockage, “more innocent babies will be lost.”

“The abortion industry’s attempt to thwart the will of Iowans and the voices of their elected representatives continues today,” Reynolds stated. “But I will fight this all the way to the Iowa Supreme Court where we expect a decision that will finally provide justice for the unborn.”

Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, one of the plaintiffs, stated in a press release that the bill is “virtually identical” to the 2018 bill that was blocked by Iowa Supreme Court in June.

“In the order granting a temporary injunction, the district court confirmed that under Iowa Supreme Court precedent, abortion restrictions that unduly burden the right to abortion are unconstitutional,” the statement said.