Farmhouse Fraternity member sex extortion trial denied motion to dismiss

Courtesy of FarmHouseISU YouTube
A screenshot of the FarmHouse Fraternity on Ash Avenue in Ames taken on July 19, 2023.

Tyler Ekstrom, one of the three former Farmhouse Fraternity members facing trial for allegedly extorting another member for sex, was brought before a judge at the Story County Courthouse on Wednesday morning seeking to dismiss his upcoming trial. The motion was not granted, as the judge ruled that the case could continue.

The former vice-president and risk manager of Farmhouse Fraternity was charged with extortion, second degree harassment and assault earlier this year. The alleged incident included two other Farmhouse fraternity members who threatened and assaulted another member at the fraternity house while Ekstrom stood near the door.

Ekstrom’s lawyer requested a motion to dismiss because she said the state did not give enough information to continue a trial. She said Ekstrom’s actions did not meet the criteria of the offenses given and they were based on “conspiracy,” as the victim and witness testimonies and police report were the only information given, and she said they did not match.

The judge ruled that the state gave enough information for the trial to continue and for Ekstrom and his lawyers to plan a defense.

According to court records, Ekstrom’s trial is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Aug 22 at the Story County Courthouse.