Iowa State basketball legend Dedric Willoughby dies at 49

Courtesty of cyclones.com
Dedric Willoughby died in Atlanta on Wednesday.

Dedric Willoughby, known as an Iowa State basketball legend, died near his home in Atlanta on Wednesday at the age of 49. The university confirmed the death Thursday.

Long before being inducted into the Iowa State Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012, Willoughby was an icon on the court during his two seasons wearing cardinal and gold.

Willoughby’s points per game average was 20.5 his first season and 18.9 his second.

Willoughby became the Cyclone with the most points scored in an NCAA Tournament game during his last season at Iowa State. He scored 34 points, including eight 3-pointers, against UCLA.

In 1996, Willoughby was named the MVP for the Big Eight tournament after defeating Kansas 56-55 with two last-second free-throws. Iowa State was expected to finish last in the conference but ended ranked second in the Big Eight. Willoughby played alongside Kelvin Cato, Kenny Pratt, Shawn Bankhead and Jacy Holloway to secure this triumph.

With 102 3-pointers during the 1996-97 season, Willoughby is still ranked No. 1 on ISU’s single-season record chart. By the end of his Iowa State career, he was the Cyclone to first score over 1,000 points in two seasons.

In 2008 Willoughby was named to Iowa State’s All-Century men’s basketball team.

Tim Floyd coached Willoughby for two seasons with the New Orleans Privateers from 1992-94. When Floyd transferred to Iowa State in 1994, Willoughby went with him before the 1995-96 season.

Two years after graduating, Willoughby joined the Chicago Bulls as his NBA debut for one season in 1999, averaging 7.6 games per season. Willoughby and Floyd were then reunited, as Floyd had left Iowa State to coach the Bulls a year prior.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500