The Center to host second community welcome event and open house in new space

The+Center+for+LGBTQIA%2B+Student+Success+is+a+place+on+campus+for+all+LGBTQIA%2B+students.+
The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success is a place on campus for all LGBTQIA+ students.

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success is holding a week-long open house in the organization’s space on the fourth floor of the Memorial Union, including a photo booth, free food and a night of Drag Bingo sponsored by The Vine Ministry. Attendance is free and events are open to the entire Iowa State community.

Susan Harper, director of The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success, said the open house is an opportunity for students to just drop in, chat with staff and with other students and get familiar with The Center.

Since The Center moved to its current location in the summer of 2022, Welcome Week events have been a great chance to get the word out and inaugurate the new space, Harper said.

“I met students during Welcome Week last year who became regulars in The Center, and I also
saw folks who attended Welcome Week events later bring friends into the space or to events we hosted,” Harper said.

Harper added that Welcome Week is also a great time for students to learn about areas of the university they might not interact with otherwise based on where they live, their major, etc. and to discover groups, communities and offices that will enhance their Iowa State experience.

“I especially enjoy getting to see students who have met at, say, a Residence Life event later connect through a Center event,” Harper said. “It helps our students feel a better sense of community and belonging.”

Additionally, The Center will be hosting a Community Welcome event on August 29 from 5-8 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Harper said she is especially excited for the Community Welcome event, which will have games, crafts, food and more opportunities to meet new people.

“I’m hoping we see an even bigger turnout than last year,” Harper said. “We’ve been able to add some new activities to the event this year that I think will be a big hit.”