801 Day citations down from last year

Daniel Jacobi II
Community Resource Officer Nate Rivera, left, and Detective Andrej Klaric, right, walk up to a backyard party filled with older adults and children during “801 day” on Aug. 19, 2023 in Ames. “We like to use this day to reach out and talk to residents,” Rivera states. “We try to build rapport.”

On 801 Day, August 19, the city of Ames was filled with college-aged people looking to have a good time with friends. The Ames and Iowa State police departments had all hands on deck to keep the city safe.

Officers patrolled in vans, cars, bikes and on foot through some of the streets where house parties have been held in the past.

The day ended with 65 people having charges filed against them by area police.

The statistical breakdown is as follows:
-Citations for underage possession of alcohol: 37
-Citations for unlawful use of license: two
-Citation for driving under suspension: one
-Arrests for interference with official acts: four
-Arrests for public intoxication: six
-Arrest for operating without owner’s consent: one
-Arrests for possession of alcohol under the legal age: six
-Arrest for false information: one
-Arrest for violation of an instructional permit: one
-Arrest for operating while intoxicated: one
-Arrests for an unlawful use of license: two
-Arrest for harassment of a public official: one
-Arrest for drugs/narcotics: one
-Arrest for reckless driving: one

In past years, local officials said there were issues with people from out of town coming to Ames and participating in disruptive activities. However, that number is down from 2022 this year, even with the nice weather on Saturday compared to last year’s rain. The ISUPD reported only 45% of their 13 arrests as non-ISU students compared to last year’s 63%.

The city of Ames continued the changes from last year with nuisance party fine increases and the no-warning tow of illegally parked cars. There has also been a growing initiative to keep people away from large parties and instead offer alcohol-free events on campus during the day. This is through an ISU-sponsored event called Cyclone Welcome Weekend.

“Every year we have tried to improve things with the Cyclone Welcome Weekend […] this year we definitely had less [police] activity than the year before,” Chief Michael Newton of ISUPD said.

Overall, ISUPD believes the Welcome Weekend events were better this year.

“I think we are getting there with the event […] we want people to have a good time, and we want people to welcome each other back and enjoy themselves but also to do so respectfully and within the law,” Newton said.