Ames City Council presented final draft of Bike and Pedestrian Master Plan

Tyler Coe
Ward 3 Representative Gloria Betcher meets for City Council at Ames City Hall on Apr. 9, 2024.

The Ames City Council held an informational workshop Tuesday to discuss the final drafts of the Bike and Pedestrian Master Plan to improve city infrastructure and promote sustainable transportation and safety, comfort and accessibility.

“This plan was very much intended to be, and is, something that builds upon the existing plans and policy of the city of Ames and of the community,” Adam Wood, a city-hired consultant and senior planner at Toole Design, said.

The plan, Walk-Bike-Roll, aims to encourage a shift from driving to alternative transportation choices by investing in better sidewalks and bikeways. Strategies listed in the plan include improving sidewalk, bike lane and path maintenance, reducing vehicle speeds, upgrading bike parking, developing Safe Routes for Ames schools and regularly updating the Ames Americans with Disabilities Act Transition Plan for increased accessibility citywide.

The estimated cost of the improvements all together would be $101.9 million. The city’s current dedicated funding for active transportation can cover the plan’s high-priority projects, totaling $18.8 million over a period of 15 to 20 years.

“We’ve got a lot of things to consider in the future,” said Ward 3 Rep. Gloria Betcher.

The plan received public input from an estimated 500+ people. Feedback mainly included requests for more funding to implement the plan, preferences for separate paths or bike boulevards instead of painted bike lanes, specific requests for improvements in certain locations and suggestions for expanding strategies.

Efforts to create wayfinding guidelines are also in the plan and focus on enhancing signs and directional cues, making navigation more accessible for pedestrians and cyclists.