Indian Students’ Association raises $2,700 for flood relief

Performers participate in Sanskriti, the annual concert put on by Indian Student Association. This year the concert raised $2,728 for flood reliefs in the Indian state of Kerala.

Mia Wang/Iowa State Daily

Shina Cho

A devastating flood in the South Indian state of Kerala killed 483 people and caused an estimated $3 billion damage.

In response to the devastation, the Indian Students’ Association decided to assist in help for the flood relief.

On Sept. 16, the association hosted Sanskriti, their annual charity concert.

The organization’s charity concert managed to raise $2,728 in aid for Kerala.

According to the Indian Students’ Association, there is no Indian student at Iowa State who has been damaged by the flood in Kerala or has a family in there.

The Indian Students’ Association holds the charity event every year according to Yash Solanki, senior in biology and president of the Indian Students’ Association.

“We discuss where to donate every year,” Solanki said. “Last year, we donated for victims of Hurricane Maria. This year, we heard there were hundreds reported dead in the aftermath of the Kerala flood.”

“Most of them were professors and their families,” Solanki said. “A lot of students got their parents here nearby. They donated to help out the community and to help people who suffered from the floods.”

During the concert, 16 Indian students and two professional traditional Indian dancers in Iowa, Anju K Chandran and Salini S Leela performed with the hopes of taking part in providing relief.

The region had the tropical wet climate affected by the monsoon in August.

Unusual heavy rainfall caused the flood in Kerala.

According to the BBC, this active monsoon brought 256 percent more rain than the regular monsoon.

The deluge was the worst in 94 years in Kerala. A drought immediately followed the monsoon creating the element for the flooding.

While engulfed in disaster, the Indian government clarified they are not receiving aid from other foreign countries.

Chief minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan created “Stand With Kerala,” an electronic platform for flood relief donation.

Rahul Namboori, junior in management information systems and public relations officer for the Indian Students’ Association, said the government of Kerala opened the transparency of expenditure to the public through the donation website and also said there is a risk of damage to ready-to-use clothing and food sent to Kerala because of the distance between Iowa and Kerala.

“India is on the opposite side of the world,” Namboori said. “The best way to help is transfer the money. That’s why we chose this website.”

The Indian Students’ Association said the organization will donate the fund through the website after they get the last donation.