On Cornel West: An attempt to silence a political dissident

Why you should still support Cornel West for President
Tyler Coe
A voting station at Wilson Toyota of Ames on Nov. 8.

If you read my column this past summer, you may know that I support third-party candidate Cornel West for president of the United States. West deviates from what is regularly considered the “normal” political spectrum (Democrats to Republicans) and brings a brazen intensity to many of the most pressing issues facing Americans today.

If you have followed his campaign, you might be aware of the recent (I hesitate to call it scandalous) news released by the Daily Beast, revealing that West had outstanding tax and child support debt. The figures, I must admit, were staggering upon a first glance. I recommend looking at the Daily Beast article or this article by ABC to get the specific numbers if you’re interested. 

In an interview with The Breakfast Club podcast, West responded to the allegations.

“Anytime you shine a flashlight under somebody’s clothes, you’re going to find all kinds of messes because that’s what it is to be human,” West said. “But, the thing is, you don’t want to lie about it. I’m going to tell the truth.”

He goes on to say that not all of the allegations were true, specifically referring to the ones about his kids and his mother.

Moments like this for politicians appear to be the most important. Hardly anything else in the news has to do with policy debate or actual political problems. It is mostly gaudy headlines that attempt to slander and prosecute people on the deepest level possible. This is not to say that some do not deserve this; however, I will declare that Cornel West does not. 

The title of this article is exactly what these reports about West are attempting to do: silence a political dissident. It doesn’t bode well for the two ruling parties (and the wider corporate interest and control) to have a groundswell of political activism that comes from the bottom. Those at the top are repulsed to see those who threaten their supremacy, and that is exactly what Dr. Cornel West is attempting to do. He seeks to reconcile harsh issues with those at the bottom—the working class and regular people willing to participate in the struggle. That is what this current era of politics desperately needs. 

I think I speak for the majority of American citizens when I say that transparency would make it much easier to navigate the system that is American politics. We come from such a rich and interesting history (good and bad), and it is being stolen from us in the present. The tumultuous times and hardships that taught us invaluable lessons about structuring our modern-day ethics are being stripped by demagogues who are more renowned for their not-safe-for-work scandals rather than their advancements of the American future.

This phenomenon is precisely what is occurring with Cornel West. He even raises this in The Breakfast Club interview. It is a distraction from the matters at hand. It isn’t as if his financial situation has anything to do with his campaign. In fact, they are personal matters and pale in comparison to the situations of other politicians at the moment. This is not to say that West doesn’t have a responsibility to pay his debt back; however, it is unlikely to affect his campaign.

In short, this is not a hoax or a proclaimed attempt to falsely accuse Cornel West of anything. He admitted to his mistakes. However, it is a deliberate attempt to crumble West’s political spirit and by proxy, the spirit of his supporters. 

His honesty reflects his character and sheds light on how he attempts to reshape American society. Rather than selling out, Cornel West bought in and is now a massive disruption of the existing political order.

I urge you to support Cornel West for president in 2024.