Jeremiah Cooper nabs Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week

Tyler Coe
Jeremiah Cooper opens the game with a pick-6 against UNI at Jack Trice Stadium on Sep. 2, 2023.

Iowa State defensive back Jeremiah Cooper was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week in the first week of Big 12 football thanks to his defensive performance in Iowa State’s 30-9 win over Northern Iowa.

Cooper made his presence known right away, as he secured the Cyclones’ first points of the game off a pick-six. Cooper jumped a short route to snatch the ball out of the air before breaking away untouched to the end zone.

That pick-six was the first for Iowa State since Jake Hummel did it back in 2021. It was also Cooper’s first career interception.

Cooper’s impactful day did not end there. Just before the half, Cooper was in the right spot at the right time for another interception. His second interception set the Cyclones up for a 56-yard field goal to end the half.

Cooper is the first Cyclone with two interceptions in one game since Marcel Spears picked off the Texas Tech quarterback twice in 2018. Cooper is also the first Cyclone with two takeaways since O’Rien Vance got two in the 2020 Fiesta Bowl.

Cooper’s interceptions helped the Cyclones secure 10 points, which was more than UNI had all day.

As it stands, Cooper is one of seven players in the nation with at least two interceptions. Not only that, Cooper finished the game with four tackles and an assisted tackle for a loss.

Cooper’s performance helped Iowa State keep the Panthers under 10 points while coasting to the first win of the season. It was no surprise that Cooper snatched the first Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award of the season.

Cooper and the Cyclones will be back on the field at 2:30 p.m. Saturday as they take on Iowa in the annual Cy-Hawk Series.