Iowa State volleyball defeats Iowa in Cy-Hawk thriller

Daniel Jacobi II
Iowa State’s Nayeli Gonzalez spikes the ball during the game against Iowa in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023, at the Xtreme Arena in Coralville, Iowa.

The Cyclones took an undefeated record of 5-0 on the road to Iowa City for a matchup with the Hawkeyes Wednesday, looking for their second straight win in the Cy-Hawk series for the first time since 2016-17.

Iowa came into the night’s matchup with a 4-2 record, riding a three-game winning streak.

Coming into the matchup, the home team had won the last four meetings. Wednesday night was a different story, as the Cyclones stayed undefeated, winning a thrilling comeback 3-2 (24-26, 17-25, 26-24, 25-18, 15-9).

A Match of runs

The match hinged on a lot of long scoring runs for both sides.

After taking a 12-6 lead early in the first set, Iowa State let up a 7-0 run, falling behind 12-13. Iowa was then able to stave off the Cyclones and win the first set 26-24.

The second set started off as a back and forth as it could be, leading to a tie at 15. From that point in that match, Iowa would go on a 10-2 run to win the second set 25-17.

After extending the match in the third set, the Cyclones saw themselves on the right side of a scoring run in the fourth. Iowa State was up 17-15 when it went on an 8-2 run to win the set and extend the match to the deciding fifth set.

Jordan Hopp shines

Senior Jordan Hopp stood out in Wednesday’s victory.

Hopp recorded team highs in kills with 14 and blocks with five. Hopp did this while also having a stellar .364 hitting.

This performance came in a stretch of great play from Hopp as she was named to the GCU All-Tournament team over the weekend.

With Hopp stepping up, along with the likes of Maya Duckworth, Annie Hatch and Nayeli Gonzalez, the Cyclones have proved that they have a very deep roster.

Fighting through adversity

The Cy-Hawk match was the first time the Cyclones had found themselves in a very difficult situation, as it was the first time they found themselves trailing all season.

After falling down 2-0, it seemed as though the undefeated season was coming to an end, but the Cyclones were not fazed. Starting in the third set, Iowa State turned it around in a big way, playing some of the best volleyball it has all season.

With the Cyclones being such a young team and the match being in a very tough environment, the comeback was especially impressive.

The Cyclones now move forward with much-needed close-match experience and the knowledge that they are never out of a match.

The Cyclones move on to the Omaha Invite with a 6-0 record, as they take on Omaha at 6 p.m. Saturday.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500