Students line up to showcase style at TREND model casting

Models+anxiously+wait+in+line+for+the+Trend+Magazine+model+casting+at+the+Student+Innovation+Center+on+Sept.+7%2C+2023.+
Brittany Huston
Models anxiously wait in line for the Trend Magazine model casting at the Student Innovation Center on Sept. 7, 2023.

Over a hundred students hoping to model for the 35th issue of TREND Magazine filled the basement of the Student Innovation Center on Thursday, forming a line that stretched up the stairwell.

The student publication, which focuses on fashion, beauty and lifestyle, held its annual model casting event from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Student Innovation Center’s photo studio.

Students are given a number while they wait in line, entering the studio one at a time to take both straight-faced and emotive headshots. No experience is needed to try out, and there is no set dress code for model casting.

Phoebe Ditrinco, a senior in animal science and current accessories director for TREND, modeled for the magazine in 2022 and became a director the following year.

“[It was] super fun but very nerve wracking,” Ditrinco said. “And you can tell that there’s a wide variety of people there.”

Ditrinco said it is important that everyone who tries out feels comfortable.

“We don’t want to put models through a bad experience,” Ditrinco said.

Directors also look for outfits that align with each issue’s theme, although a unique outfit could be the reason a model gets cast, Ditrinco said.

According to Ditrinco, out of hundreds of applicants, less than 20 get accepted.

“We definitely cast a lot of people just based on if their shoes that they’re wearing are super unique, or their pants,” Ditrinco said. “So I would say even if it doesn’t fit the theme this year, a crazy outfit is pretty great.”

The theme for TREND’s 35th issue is “RADAR,” taking inspiration from directors like Wes Anderson and retro themes.

“It’s kind of talking about how we’re seeing history continuously repeat itself, like circular motion and actions and trying to use the past to predict the future,” Ditrinco said. “The actual aesthetic is kind of hiding dark meanings behind really bright colors.”

Ditrinco said the magazine’s biggest goal is student representation.

“We’re always trying to cast like a diverse group of people, because we want everyone to be represented in a fashion magazine,” Ditrinco said.

Abby Bahlmann, a senior in electrical engineering, said she came to model casting because she has been a fan of previous issues of the magazine.

“I think it’d be interesting because it’s a cool little artsy outlet,” Bahlmann said.

Tatum Tierney, a freshman in apparel, merchandising and design, said she became interested in joining TREND after seeing a friend model for the magazine the year prior and loving the work.

“I’ve been interested in fashion my entire life,” Tierney said. “I really just love clothes and having fun with them and just experimenting, and creativity is my stronger personality trait.”

Teagen Bollers, a sophomore in journalism and mass communication, said she decided to try out for model casting after doing the Fashion Show last year.

“That just coincided with [model casting],” Bollers said. “So I thought it would be a fun experience as well.”

According to Ditrinco, TREND is collaborating with the Fashion Show this year, with the magazine’s release party to be held right before Fashion Week begins.

Ditrinco said her favorite part about being in TREND is the community.

“When you walk into the TREND meetings it’s like a fashion show, everyone bringing their best clothes, it’s just super fun to feel like you can dress up to something and everyone’s pretty accepting of styles,” Ditrinco said.