Senate confirms new leaders, funds entertainer for Cyclone Welcome Weekend

Jacob Rice
Student Government meeting, Memorial Union, Mar. 22, 2023.

Off-Campus Senator Kolton Eisma, a sophomore in agricultural business, was confirmed as Analysis of Social Services Evaluation Team (ASSET) volunteer by the Senate, following a nomination from the executive branch.

“ASSET, as we know, is a finance-related position; Kolton has served on our finance committee for a couple of years now,” President Jennifer Holliday, a senior in agricultural studies, said. “He also is a business major, and has incredible experience within the economics industry.”

The Senate confirmed Hunter Schneider, a freshman in political science, as inter-fraternity council senator.

“I actually got recommended Hunter from another member of our fraternity because of his interest in bettering the university, pursuing a career in political science and politics and his big heart for change and wanting to see everyone else succeed,” Human Sciences Senator Brandon Kamstra, a senior in kinesiology and health, said. “I give my full support behind Hunter, I think he’s going to do a great job in this role.”

The Senate also confirmed Sydney Jones, a junior in cyber security engineering, as United Residents Off-Campus Council (UROC) senator.

“Sydney was nominated to us by the UROC council and rules [committee] had a really wonderful time talking to her,” Engineering Senator Anna Hackbarth, a senior in electrical engineering, said. “She is really thorough and has a lot of really great ideas.”

Santi Fajardo, a sophomore in political science, was confirmed by the Senate to serve on the Student Government’s Election Commission. Hackbarth shared a message from the election commissioner on behalf of Fajardo’s nomination.

“As [Fajardo] and I have talked, I have found him to be a strong leader who is smart and eager to do what he can for the Election Commission,” Hackbarth read. “He has a strong history of leadership positions which I’m sure he will tell you all about, and a helpful attitude I would really like to work with.”

In their slew of confirmations, the Senate also confirmed:
College of Business Senator Cody Swank, a senior in human resource management, to serve on the Health and Wellness Committee.
Megan Murano, a junior in finance, as director of student services.
Dev Rokade, a junior in computer science, was confirmed as director of marketing.

Other business

The Senate held a first reading regarding the acquisition of a new printer for their office, with Senate documents describing their current printer as “inaccessible by the majority of members.”

The bill, introduced to the Senate by Kamstra, allocates $434.25 for the printer, a box of paper and a four-year warranty.

“We had gotten this printer at my fraternity; it is a very sustainable printer,” Kamstra said. “ We got it over a year-and-a-half ago and it has not run out of ink yet. It does not use the old ink cartridges– the black ones that are not recyclable– it uses a refillable tank.”

Kamstra added that the cost of a bottle of ink for a refill is $30 and lasts for roughly 6,000 prints.

“[The printer is] extremely sustainable when it comes to the ink side of things,” Kamstra said. “[On the] paper side it’s a different debate, but it is also a lot more cost effective when it comes to ink and maintenance.”

The Senate moved to transfer funds to host mentalist Brian Imbus for the next Cyclone Family Weekend.

The fund transfer between Student Government and Student and Family Outreach Team totaled $2,500.