Players to Watch: Oklahoma State

Tyler Coe
Jaylin Noel stretches during pre-game warmups before taking on UNI at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 2, 2023.

Iowa State:

Jaylin Noel – Wide Receiver

Noel was absent from Iowa State’s 10-7 loss to Ohio due to a stomach bug. His absence was felt, as Iowa State was forced to attempt to move the ball on the ground instead of taking big shots in the air.

With Noel back in action, quarterback Rocco Becht will have more options to look for, which should take some work off of Jayden Higgins’ shoulders. Noel has not exploded in a game yet this season. With Oklahoma State allowing nearly 200 yards in the air each game, Iowa State’s struggling offense may have a chance to find its rhythm.

Only time will tell, but with Noel being the clear No. 1 option in the passing game, the signs are pointing to him finding success against the Cowboys.

Tyler Onyedim – Defensive Lineman

Oklahoma State’s offensive line has been shaky through the first few games of the season. The three Cowboy quarterbacks have been sacked a total of eight times through three games. 

Look for Iowa State’s defensive line to have a successful day by putting Oklahoma State quarterbacks in the dirt. The name that stands out the most of the players that will be rushing at Oklahoma State’s quarterbacks is Onyedim.

Although Onyedim does not have a sack this season, the game against Oklahoma State will be his best opportunity to get one. He has shown his explosiveness and talent in the pass rush, so those efforts are due to pay off.

Domonique Orange – Defensive Lineman

An underrated player on Iowa State’s defensive line this season has been Orange. He has been solid through each of his games played, stuffing the run at every opportunity.

Orange had some solid reps against Iowa and showed off his talents against Ohio. With the way he is trending, he is due for a big game soon.

Oklahoma State excels on the ground, with many options in the run game between the running backs and quarterbacks. If the Iowa State defense wants to live up to the hype entering Big 12 play, Orange will be one of the players up front who will get good work in the trenches.

Oklahoma State:

Gunnar Gundy/Alan Bowman/Garret Rangel – Quarterback

Oklahoma State has shown unique looks at the quarterback position through its 2-1 start to the season. Each of the three players in the lineup has seen significant time on the field.

Although each quarterback has had various successes and struggles, they each have roles they excel at. There is a chance that Iowa State will see multiple Oklahoma State quarterbacks throughout the matchup.

It will be interesting to see which quarterback excels against Iowa State’s defense and who gets a majority of the reps. Iowa State’s defense could have a field day if it can contain the man leading Oklahoma State’s attack.

Ollie Gordon II – Running Back

Oklahoma State excels in the run game, which is led by Gordon. Through three games, Gordon leads the team in rushing yards and has two touchdowns.

Although Gordon did not see much action in Oklahoma State’s 33-7 loss to South Alabama, he did excel in both Oklahoma State’s wins. If Oklahoma State wants to play spoiler in Ames, Gordon will most likely lead the way.

Gordon not only has shown solid runs on the ground but he has proven himself as a capable receiving back. Jaden Nixon leads the running back room in receptions and yards, but Gordon is right behind him. Those two paired with Elijah Collins’ talents on the ground will make for another unique challenge for Iowa State’s defense to deal with.

Collin Oliver – Linebacker

There are some standouts on Oklahoma State’s defense, but the one name that has shined the brightest has been Oliver.

Although Oliver has not had too many massive plays, he plays solid defense on every drive. He is quick to the action and locks down big play attempts before they develop. Alongside that, Oliver also has good hands.

Oliver leads the Cowboys in forced fumbles with two and passes defended with two. He also has one big-time sack on the year resulting in a loss of 14 yards. If Oliver shows up against Iowa State, the Cyclones could be in for a long day on offense.