Gridiron Staff Picks: Oklahoma State

Tyler Coe
Rocco Becht, Jaylin Noel, and Jayden Higgens celebrate a QB sneak touchdown by Becht against UNI at Jack Trice Stadium on Sep. 2, 2023.

Christian Royston, Sports Editor (1-2)

Oklahoma State 17, Iowa State 13

The loss to Ohio was a low point in Iowa State’s young season. Although I want to say a home game against a beatable opponent to open up Big 12 play will get the Cyclones back on track, if they play like they have been playing, a win will be hard to come by.

Oklahoma State has not looked great in its first few games of the season, most recently getting blown out at home by South Alabama. With both teams coming off bad losses, the tension in the air will be high in Ames. Only one team can turn its season around, while the other may watch the season burn down in flames.

Iowa State’s defense has been airtight, as expected, through the start of the season. The most points they have allowed in a game so far is 13. The only issue with the Cyclones has been the offense, which has not found its rhythm yet this year. 

Oklahoma State’s offense poses some threats, but will most likely struggle to get a lot moving throughout the day. However, I see the Cyclone offense struggling more and falling just short in a low-scoring contest.

Logan Shanks, Assistant Sports Editor (1-2)

Iowa State 16, Oklahoma State 13

The Cyclones have a major opportunity to turn things around after a head-scratching loss against Ohio. With Iowa State’s offense not having much success through the first three games, they’ll need to use this game against the Cowboys as a step in the right direction.

Oklahoma State has struggled on both sides of the ball, which was apparent in its 33-7 loss against South Alabama. The Cowboy’s defense allowed nearly 400 yards in their matchups against the Jaguars and Central Arkansas. They’ve also only forced two turnovers, and much like the Cyclones, have made inferior teams’ offenses look better than they should.

The Cyclone defense will have their hands full with a trio of Cowboys running backs that all average over four yards per carry. Ollie Gordon II and Jaden Nixon have averaged five yards per carry on their limited number of touches and have combined for three touchdowns. While Iowa State’s run defense has fared well in its three games this season, it will be dealing with its deepest and most diverse matchup against Oklahoma State. 

I see the Cyclones taking advantage of the opportunity to finally get their offense going against a depleted Oklahoma State defense and starting off Big 12 play with a win for the first time since 2020. 

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter (2-1)

Iowa State 24, Oklahoma State 17

The new Big 12 season has officially begun for Iowa State as it gets the pleasure of welcoming the Oklahoma State Cowboys to Ames. Both teams are suffering losses in games that they were projected to win. Iowa State obviously fell in a close battle with the Ohio Bobcats, while Oklahoma State fell to South Alabama at home in a not-so-close game.

Needless to say, both teams are looking to get back on the right track, and that journey starts off Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. In this matchup, however, I have Iowa State winning in a closely contested game that has some flashes of promise to bring throughout the rest of their schedule.

The offense needs to be rejuvenated after only scoring seven total points in Athens, Ohio, this past weekend, and I expect the offense, led by quarterback Rocco Becht, to score some more points. Look for wide receiver Jaylin Noel to have a bounce-back game after missing out on the Ohio game due to an illness that spread throughout the team.

As for the defense, expect them to have their hands full with the Cowboys who are led by the “three-headed monster” at quarterback. The Cyclone defense has done a great job holding teams down to 20 points or less this season. It will be a tough challenge for the Cyclones on Saturday, but I expect them to continue their solid play and get the job done to get back to the .500 mark on the season.