How Jaylin Noel filled big shoes to lead Iowa State’s wide receiver room

AMES — Iowa State wide receiver Jaylin Noel had big shoes to fill at the wide receiver position following the departure of Xavier Hutchinson, but he was ready for the challenge.

Hutchinson will go down as one of the best receivers to come out of Iowa State as he racked up just under 3,000 receiving yards while collecting 15 touchdowns.

Hutchinson’s talents helped him get selected in the 2022 NFL Draft, as he got picked up by the Houston Texans in the sixth round, 205th overall.

While Noel and Hutchinson were both at Iowa State, Noel filled into the No. 2 role to let Hutchinson shine. The time Noel spent behind Hutchinson helped shape him into a better receiver.

Noel always looked up to Hutchinson as a mentor and a friend. Hutchinson left a mark on Noel that Noel used to be the best possible receiver he could be, even after Hutchinson left for the NFL.

“He pushed me to be a better version of myself,” Noel said. “When he left, he left a mark to always be consistent and work on my craft to be a better player each day.”

While it may seem that Hutchinson has helped Noel become a better player on the team, he accredits his success to his family as well. Noel became the person he is today thanks to the support of his family.

“They’re very supportive,” Noel said. “They’ve been with me every step of the way since I started playing football. They made sure that if I needed something, I got it. I’m truly blessed to have my family.”

Noel has tattoos on his body that all relate to his family. He has a large arm sleeve with all of his family members on it.

However, one specific tattoo sticks out from the rest: a big tribute on his arm dedicated to his older brother.

Noel’s older brother died when he was younger. His brother’s passing has only helped Noel grow as a player and as a man.

“It’s honestly my why,” Noel said. “I constantly think about him, and it helps me get a positive mindset and it helps me push myself every day knowing that he wants me to be great.”

Knowing that his brother is supporting him even now helps Noel strive to be the best that he can be.

Defensive back T.J. Tampa has been around to see Noel grow as a player and as a teammate ever since he joined the team back in 2021.

Tampa praised Noel on the way he’s been able to showcase his talents at a high level while also being a great teammate.

“Just having a high-work motor—he has a good work ethic and is a great person on and off the field and will be great for our offense as someone to rely on,” Tampa said.

Head coach Matt Campbell saw something in Noel back when he recruited him to Iowa State in 2020 when Noel was in high school. Noel was a three-star recruit out of Missouri.

Noel received offers from schools like Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Washington State before committing to Iowa State. Noel knew that becoming a Cyclone would allow him to be a great player, as he watched other great receivers pass through Iowa State.

“One of the things I love about Jaylin is that he wants to be great,” Campbell said.

Campbell knew that Noel would bring something special to the team. Noel has shown how special he can be throughout the two full seasons he’s spent with the Cyclones.

“From day one, Jaylin has accelerated his growth in our football program, from how he practices to how he goes about everything,” Campbell said. “There’s no surprise to why he got voted a captain in his junior year.”

Jaylin Noel runs toward the end zone for a touchdown during the game against Oklahoma at Gaylord Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma, on Sept. 30, 2023. (Jacob Rice)

Noel has flashed his talents many times before, as he was a vital part of the Cyclone offense entering his third season. His efforts helped him become a team captain as a junior.

Noel had 99 receptions for 841 receiving yards and three touchdown receptions over his first two seasons with the team. Entering his third year, Noel became the No. 1 player in the wide receiver room and has already become quarterback Rocco Becht’s main target.

Newly promoted offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase also gave high praise to Noel and the versatility he brings.

“His decision making has improved a lot,” Scheelhaase said. “His flexibility is what makes him great since you don’t usually see many guys be able to have comfort in other positions like he does.”

Especially with young quarterbacks at the helm in Becht and JJ Kohl, Scheelhaase likes how Noel has become that guy to rely on and make a big play when he is needed. Noel has filled into the quarterback-friendly receiver role that Hutchinson was in a year ago.

“Having a guy like that you can trust to get the ball into his hands in a number of different ways, it helps you a lot as an offense,” Scheelhaase said.

Noel has only continued to improve his skills in the offseason and early part of the 2023 season. Noel worked on his craft constantly to prepare to potentially be the leading receiver for Iowa State. So far, it appears he is on pace to be the main receiver throughout the season.

“I became a better route runner,” Noel said. “I also got better at the catchpoint and got better at the deep ball since those were some of the things I needed to improve on from last season.”

Noel highlighted his deep ball playmaking abilities in the few times he touched the field to start the 2023 season. As Becht looked to get more comfortable moving the offense, Noel has been the main player to make big plays through the air.

Noel’s skills as a receiver are not his only beneficial trait. He has shown immense ability to be a key factor in the return game as well.

Noel wracked up 523 kick-return yards and 148 punt-return yards in his two seasons as a returner with Iowa State. Noel has also been the main returner to start the season for the Cyclones, using his elusiveness to get big chunk plays when needed.

While he has not scored a touchdown yet for the Cyclones as a returner, Noel has put Iowa State in great field position countless times to eventually set up scores for the team.

Noel is looking forward to proving to himself and to everyone else that he can become the main guy that the team can count on when they need big plays from him the most. Noel has also accepted the challenge of leading the wide receiver room.

“As a leader and as a player, I’m definitely ready to be that,” Noel said.