Iowa State looks to rebound at home against TCU in Jack Trice Legacy game

Jacob Rice
Zachary Lovett awaits the Oklahoma offense during the Iowa State vs. Oklahoma football game at Gaylord Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma, on Sept. 30, 2023.

The Cyclones head back to Ames for a clash with the TCU Horned Frogs in a potential get-right game for both teams on Saturday at the Jack Trice Legacy game.

Iowa State is coming off of a disappointing 50-20 loss to the Oklahoma Sooners, in a game where they kept it close with the Sooners midway through the second quarter when they were down by one point, but could not end up pulling ahead as Oklahoma dominated the Cyclones from that point on.

The Cyclone defense, which has been a stand-out feature of this team, got picked apart by Sooners quarterback Dillon Gabriel for over 360 passing yards.

One positive takeaway from the defense came from defensive back Jeremiah Cooper, who got his fourth interception of the season, as he continues to show how vital of a piece he is to this defense.

Head coach Matt Campbell takes this loss to the Sooners as a chance to learn and grow from their mistakes instead of dwelling on the huge loss.

“There’s still so much growth happening,” Campbell said. “When you take the positive and the negative together, you demand to grow forward.”

Wide receiver Jaylin Noel continued his recent hot streak against the Sooners, as he collected four catches for 48 yards with a touchdown reception.

He gave his thoughts about the significance of playing in the Jack Trice Legacy game and how special it is to be a part of the team that is given this opportunity.

“It means a lot,” Noel said. “Being able to play in this game and represent him means a lot and it will be a significant one to everyone and one to never forget.”

As for TCU, they are coming off of a brutal 24-21 loss at home to West Virginia, in which they had the lead going into the second half, but got shutout in the final two quarters.

The Horned Frogs had many chances to take the lead over the Mountaineers, but could not as kicker Griffin Kell missed two field goal attempts that eventually gave TCU the loss.

Quarterback Chandler Morris has been a problem for opposing defenses, as he has showcased his talents both through the air and on the ground. He has thrown for over 1,400 yards and has rushed for 235 yards through five games.

“You’ve got a quarterback that’s played a ton of football in this system, so it’ll be a great challenge,” Campbell said.

The Horned Frog defense has given opposing offenses some trouble as well, as they kept West Virginia to under 150 total yards through the air.

Many of their defensive players from their successful season last year came back for another year with the program and are still showing out each and every game.

Offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase gave his thoughts on how he is looking to prepare his offense for a defense that has the potential to be game-changing like TCU’s.

“They’re fast and physical,” Scheelhaase said. “They have a lot of players returning from their successful season last year, so you have to find ways to put them in a position where they feel challenged.”

Kickoff between the Cyclones and the Horned Frogs is set to kick off Saturday at 7 p.m. and will be streamed on FS1.