Story County deputy arrests driver after chase

Courtesy of Upsplash

Around 1:30 p.m. Monday the Story County Sheriff’s office responded to a report of a white 2004 Ford Expedition driving in both lanes of Highway 30.

The vehicle was stopped and blocking both lanes of traffic when the county deputy approached it. The Ford then took off, speeding eastbound toward Ames. The pursuit of the driver lasted 10 minutes and concluded with a PIT maneuver that caused the vehicle to overturn in the 3800 block of Lincoln Way.

Ty Shoulders, 20-year-old male of Sioux City, Iowa, was identified as the driver and arrested after law enforcement deployed a taser to secure the suspect. During the chase, Shoulders also “rammed the Deputy’s squad car,” according to the Story County Sheriff’s press release.

Other vehicles including a CyRide bus, another squad car and an uninvolved vehicle received damage during the chase with no injuries reported.

Shoulders was arrested and charged with felony eluding; the Sheriff’s office says other charges may arise following the continuing investigation.