Turkish music concert to celebrate 100th anniversary of the Republic of Türkiye

Courtesy of Muhammet Bekir Arslan

Oct. 29 marks a century since the establishment of the Turkish Republic, an anniversary that holds historical and cultural significance for Turkish students at Iowa State.

The Turkish Student Association will celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the Republic of Türkiye with a music concert from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 29 at Harvest Vineyard Church in Ames.

“[The 100th anniversary] commemorates a century of transformation, marking the transition from the Ottoman Empire to the modern Turkish Republic,” said Muhammet Bekir Arslan, the International Student Council representative for the Turkish Student Association and a graduate student studying architecture.

Music will be provided by the band TURKANA, formed by Turkish and American musicians specializing in Turkish folk and pop music. Arslan said Turkish folk music is known for its profound storytelling, nostalgia and its use of traditional instruments.

“Turkish folk music is incredibly diverse and emotionally resonant,” Arslan said. It reflects the cultural tapestry of Türkiye, employing a wide range of instruments, vocal styles and rhythms.”

During concerts, TURKANA presents internationally famous Turkish songs and translates the lyrics into English, which allows the audience to experience a more comprehensive musical experience.

Arlsan said TURKANA has previously performed at Iowa State on multiple occasions and past events hosted by the Turkish Student Association.

“That’s why we wanted to welcome in TURKANA, since they could authentically represent Türkiye’s rich musical traditions,” Arslan said.

Zulal Melek, the president of the Turkish Student Association and a graduate student studying education, said attendees can expect an immersive cultural experience that goes beyond music.

“TURKANA’s performance will showcase the beauty and diversity of Turkish folk music,” Melek said.

All members of the Ames and Iowa State communities are invited to attend the event.

“We often receive the question, ‘Are your events only for Turks?’” Arslan said. “We would like to clarify through your platform that our events are open to anyone interested. This event will be a unique opportunity for all to engage with Turkish culture and traditions, and we believe it will be a celebration to remember.”

Free baklava will be served to all attendees at the concert, financed by the ISU Event Funding Board.

“This support is instrumental in reaching a wider audience through our event. We would like to extend our gratitude to the ISU Funding Board for their assistance,” Melek said.

Arslan said the Turkish Student Association aims to strengthen bonds between cultures and continue to be a vibrant part of the Iowa State and Ames communities.

“The 100th anniversary of Türkiye symbolizes our unwavering commitment to promoting Turkish culture, building a sense of community among students and sharing our heritage with the broader Ames community,” Arslan said.

Tickets can be purchased at the door or through the organization’s Instagram page.