“Here’s Johnny!”: Top horror films for people who hate horror

Courtesy of IMDb
“The Black Phone” starring Ethan Hawke was released in 2022 and received widespread critical acclaim.

Blood, gore and jumpscares left and right are the parts of horror movies that make people grimace at the mention. But not all scary movies need to have these factors in order to keep people watching even when it’s so tempting to turn away. 

Here are some great scary movie recommendations for those who hate horror. 

“The Black Phone”

Through the streets of Denver, a kidnapper nicknamed The Grabber terrorizes the community by snatching young boys and making sure they are never seen again. A 13-year-old boy named Finney finds himself the unfortunate next victim of this kidnapper. As Finney is stuck in the Grabber’s desolate basement, he begins receiving calls from the old rotary phone on the wall. Each call is from another young boy, giving Finney tips and different routes for him to escape.

Nail-biting and suspenseful, this film is sure to give viewers the chills. While the audience worries for Finney and hopes he makes it out, there is also curiosity about who the Grabber may be and what his motivation is. Though the Grabber’s creepy presence makes this film scary, it falls into the category of a horror thriller rather than a slasher. 

“The Shining”

“The Shining” was a monumental film for its time, introducing new techniques and ideas in the industry. Recovering alcoholic and aspiring writer Jack Torrance jumps at the opportunity to take a job as a caretaker at a hotel for the winter season. Disregarding the manager’s warnings about past mishaps with the previous caretaker, he moves himself and his family into the hotel for the winter, hoping to use the isolation to his advantage and work on his new book. When Jack’s mental health takes a nosedive and he acts out against his family, he finds that maybe he should have considered the manager’s warnings.

“The Shining” is a slow-paced horror that begins quite calmly and grows exceedingly frightening as it continues. With few bloody scenes, this film proves to be more disturbing than terrifying. The thrill of seeing what could go wrong keeps watchers on the edges of their seats, anticipating each character’s next move. 

“Psycho”

This 1960s film may seem very old due to its black-and-white appearance, but more than anything, the lack of color adds to the mysterious and brooding vibe. Norman Bates is a lonely man, running the frequently empty Bates Motel alongside his mother, Norma. When Marion, a young woman who has just stolen a lump sum of money from her boss, shows up at the motel, Norman takes a particular interest in her. After Marion hasn’t been heard from for some time, her sister decides to look for her.

This chilling horror, while quite scary and unnerving, does not have much gore, which makes it a good option for moviegoers who aren’t fans of horror. Plot points and the soundtrack completely pull this film together and make it a spooky, fun watch. 

“Goosebumps”

Based on the books written by R.L. Stine, this film brings several monsters from his books into one story. Teenager Zach Cooper and his mom move in next door to a single father and his daughter Hannah. After worrying about Hannah’s safety, Zach goes to the house with his friend Champ to check up on her. They soon discover that they’ve made a huge mistake and have put the whole town in danger. 

A family-friendly and entertaining movie, “Goosebumps” features some of R.L. Stine’s most scary creatures. Suspense runs high in this film as there is no telling what creatures will make appearances.

“Happy Death Day”

Teresa Gelbman is a college student who has just woken up on her birthday. As she makes her way to a party, Teresa crosses paths with a person wearing their school mascot’s mask. The person chases and kills her, and Teresa wakes up the next morning, only to restart her birthday. That night, when she is killed again and wakes up, she realizes she is stuck in a time loop and has to find a way out. 

This film took the idea of Groundhog Day and twisted it. Its several jump scares and mystery make watchers wonder who could be behind the mask. There is minimal gore, but it tells a thrilling story without relying on blood and all the visuals of murder and rather only on implications. All of these decisions ultimately make a very exciting and bizarre film. 

These are great picks for people who do not like gore or the supernatural, as they do not rely on blood or ghosts to give the audience a good scare. Many of these are thrilling, suspenseful and mysterious watches, making them perfect for people who hate horror.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500